My male emu finally made a nest !!!

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by chickenzoo, Oct 31, 2011.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I have been looking and looking for emu eggs out in the pasture after finding 2 last week, but didn't find anything. Well today I go out and look all over - nothing. Then I happen to see Merlin, one of my males, picking up leaves and arranging something. There, right under my nose by the fence, in a pile of fallen leaves and tree branches was his nest with FIVE beautiful emu eggs. He careful stepped in the center, then out, then arranged more leaves. He tried to squatt and get the feel of sitting, lol, then Henry came over to see what's going on and Merlin defended his nest fiercely. So hopefully he will start setting. This is my first time with them nesting... will Doodlebug continue to lay eggs in the nest?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:[​IMG] BABIES!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] This is going to be good!!!!!

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Yay!!!!

4. foulman007

foulman007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    Quote:My female will lay very near the male and he will scoop them into his nest. He will only take so many . mine will take 8 and then start smashing any new entries.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Ok, thanks..... I numbered the 5 eggs in the nest so i can see any new ones and take them. I wonder if she will go to my other male once Merlin is sitting.......... hummm... [​IMG]

I'll get pics of the nest.

6. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    [​IMG]

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

[​IMG]

Merlin getting up as I approached.....

[​IMG]

How he hid the nest.... eggs were uncovered from him sitting on them. ( Excuse all the brick... there are piles everywhere from the past owner) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doodlebugs eggs.........

I noticed Doodlebug now trying to hang out with Henry, but he remembers the whoopings she gave him.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  8. foulman007

foulman007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    Quote:You got me checking every day after work I know its too early for mine but still....

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sorry.......... [​IMG] but You never know......... [​IMG] I didn't think mine would, until I almost tripped over an egg........... and I knew the previous owners never had emu. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  10. dnkfarm

dnkfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    Iva, SC
    That is so AWESOME:D I am still tracking mine every evening hiding in the bushes and such..lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by