1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My male mallard is only using one of his legs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by angpatt77, Oct 3, 2010.

1. angpatt77

angpatt77 New Egg

Oct 3, 2010
    I have 10 ducks, most of which are mallards. I got "Johnny" from a man that "raised" ducks. Unfortunately Johnny's left wing is clipped so he can't fly. The other nine ducks I raised myself. For some reason it's October and my females are sitting on their nests full of eggs. They have been mating recently and I don't know if Johnny was being chased, being too rough or what, but he is only using his left leg in and out of the water. Should I be concerned? It doesn't LOOK broken, but I'm definitely not an expert. Do you think it will heal on it's own?

I am grateful for any advice at all, please help!

A

2. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Hi there,
    I have found that when ducks have a soft tissue injury to one or both of their legs, it is best to isolate them ( in a large dog crate perhaps ) bed them down on straw and limit their movement. I give them hydrotherapy (fancy word for letting them swim in the bathtub) in warm water a couple of times a day also. It can take a couple of weeks before they are totally back to normal (often after a hard landing but I see this is not the case). My vet provides me with some homeopathy.....never sure if it is that that works but t least it doesn't hurt. If you can get some Metacam (meloxicam.....anti-inflammatory for dogs and cats) from your vet too, they can have it once a day for about 5 days. Because they are clumsy and dislike the crate to begin with, you have to keep a close eye on their water that they haven't dumped it or loaded it with straw. If they go off their food, make a "soup" with warm water and duck chow. Mallards especially, because they are dabblers, take to this quite well. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by