My Male Muscovy is Missing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by swampducks, Aug 25, 2008.

1. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I wasn't sure at first because sometimes he just stays in the bushes but after not seeing him for more than 24 hours I'm guessing he's toast. His 3 ladies are all sitting on my deck railing preening away, oblivious as far as I can tell.

All my other ducks are accounted for. No sign of feathers, carcass, for all I know he just wandered off the die after eating something. I was so looking forward to mass baby ducklings next spring!

What are the odds he'll just show up after having a hard day's squawk somewhere? [​IMG]

2. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    I bet not good. My hen muscovy just did the same thing. I am convinced she was scared. A predator was getting some of the chickens and I assumed she was a victim also. She just left until things were safer and came back. I would not expect that from a male.

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    If it was a predator you would think they would go for the hens first since they are smaller than him..
    Maybe he got scared off by something and is making his way back home....
    I have had males for years and have not had anything bother them and we have foxes, owls, hawks, you name it..
    Hope he comes home...

4. swampducks

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Still no sign of him. I did find one short black feather at the pond but they all have those. There are a bunch of white ones, too but with the pekin molting as well, it's really hard to say.

How far can a 'scovy walk in a day if he wanted to see the sights? [​IMG]

5. swampducks

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I found the carcass this morning. Something returned it to the seen of the crime, 10 feet from the pond edge, there wasn't much left. And one of my 3 females is gone. I suppose her remains will show up in a few days, too.

The raccoon trap was untouched, even with marshmallows and a duck egg inside. I'm thinking whatever is doing it prefers duck, or isn't a raccoon. The ducks were on the raft in the water last night.

This is really depressing.

6. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Aww im so sorry for your loss .

Why dont you pen them at night for now on . That way you wont loose any more ?

7. duckman

duckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    michigan
    i used to lose like one a night then i started to pen them up at night and now i havent lost one in 3 months. every night at dusk they are at the pen and i throw the food in there and lock them in then at dawn they are ready to go to the pond. i would pen them up now.

duckman

8. swampducks

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I'd like to pen up the remaining tow, in fact I've seen them grazing happily with the chickens and guineas, but they can fly and I have no idea how to persuade them it would be a good idea.

Any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by