My male peacock is a stinkin bully!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by angie3881, Sep 23, 2011.

1. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

Brought home Ken and Barbie in late March. First time peacock owner. They are great! I love watching them and their funny behaviors. They free range and sleep in a different tree every night, which I find weird, but weird fits in at my house.
    Ken picks all Barbie's sprouts (crest) off. As soon as she growns a new one in it is mysteriously gone. I never see him do this... but have asked and am pretty certain he is.
    He is nosy and is in everyone's business all the time. I left my garage door open one day. He was inside, standing on my Cadillac with his sharp little claws and had demolished a bag of feed... (totally my fault, I know.) [​IMG]
    Now I have a broody hen with 5 chicks and he will NOT leave her and the chicks alone! He has his nose in their business every chance he gets! As far as I can see, he does nothing to hurt them. Mama chicken jumps up and down and cusses him out when he gets near them. When it is treat time, he has his mouth stuffed full of bread and is chasing all the chickens away from anything I throw down.
    He only seems to be intimidated by my 1 year old, 5 pound toy poodle that is the size of a pepsi can with legs. [​IMG]
    Has anyone ever had one harm a chick? Or do you think Nosy Rosy just has to be in the middle because that is his personality?

2. prairiehen74369

prairiehen74369 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    north east oklahoma
    Quote:Pete and Ethel my peafowl have a chick of their own---but they bug my hens that are setting and after they hatch. no one is ever phyically harmed just alot of carrying on by the broody hens. They are very nosy and hog the goodies if they can. Yes they both are definately bullies. They know when I'm getting on to them for being intimadating. As long as they don't do any physical harm I guess they are going to get away with this behavior. [​IMG]

3. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you, Prairiehen! I am glad to know it is their personality. They are so pretty, they can get away with almost anything!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by