My male quail turns aggressive

Coffgirl

Chirping
Apr 5, 2018
Thailand
and I start to have more problem.

like the male one was really calmed and never be aggressive before even he keeps mating with the female for 2 weeks now.

but now he just changed from really calmed and dashed out to peck on the female and tore of her feather with no reason, he didn't even want to get on her back.

at first it's only once per 2 days or so.
but today the male just chased and tore off the feather from the female 4 times today already.

and I tried to separate them but they're calling to each other.
I'm really afraid about stressed will build up from this.

but without separating them, the male attacked the female sometimes and don't really know when it will happen.

He also made some kind of "kakakakaka" noise while attacking every time.

any best solution about this?

I keep them as a pet, so I only have 2 quails.

Last edited:
He’s just a bad roo, get rid of him, he’ll end up killing one of your hens.

Get rid of him and buy a new one, I’ve had this problem with many different birds and the only solution that actually works is getting rid of him and buying another one

damn..
he's my pet and I have only 2 of them. male and female
I don't have them for food or anything.

so I really can't kill him. I love them both.

but yeah I really have to separate them up.
but I don't know how to do it with out the female is getting stressed from being separate.

I did try for hours but they never stop running and keep calling to each other.
I'm really afraid of stress to build up in female.

I end up put them back together and just stop the male when he tries to do it again.

So it's ok to let them scream for a while.
Okay I'll do that after I get a new cage for my crazy boy.

Thank you.

I really hope they can be on their own at some point.

I did that but they tried to burst through it.
and they didn't even bother to eat or drink..
just tried so hard to be together.

I think it's not healthy so I took it off.

Coturnix roos usually need at least 3 hens to keep them happy. If they only have one, they'll often need to live in an aviary or similar so the hen has room to get away if the roo gets aggressive or wants to mate when she doesn't.
Some roos are so docile they can live happily in a normal cage with just one hen, but it's rare.
Separating them for a couple of weeks might work, but it might also just make him even more aggressive when he gets back with her. Swapping him for another roo might also work, or the new one could be even worse. Swapping him for a hen is probably the solution that's most likely to work, but don't just toss the new hen into the cage with the old one if you decide to go that way. Introductions have to be done carefully.

hmm, the best solution is to separate them in to each cage.
I don't think I'll get him back in the same cage with female because I don't think he'll change.
I'll keep that in mind that I need at least 3 females per 1 male.

when I bought them I just thought about they need a friend when I am not home.
and I didn't know which is male or female just hope there were all female but it turns out to be male and female.

I really don't have a room for more quail so I'll just separate them for now.

thank you. x.x

Back
Top Bottom