My Mallard Drake is teaching his girls

PlumTuckered

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 27, 2007
Arkansas
The last few weeks my Mallard Drake has been going into the Duck house/bedroom and singing to his Mallard Girls until one or all 3 follow him in there. Once inside he walks up to the eggs laid by my Pekins and talks some more. Each time he does this one of his Mallard girls will touch her bill to each egg and then walk away. Well this morning when he did this only one Mallard girl went inside, she walked over to the eggs, touched each one with her bill and then started pulling hay up around the eggs the way my older girls do when building a nest. Once she started moving that hay the drake really started singing/talking to her. It only lasted about a minute and a half but it had me mesmorized. My mallards just turned 5 months old. Have any of you ever seen your Drake do this?

Michelle

aweee how cuuuuuuuuuuuute!!!!!! no my drake just turns into a jerk when my hen is laying. she has like 5 or 6 eggs. he's been a meanie when i go up to the pen but he plays peek a boo when i sit in my chair lol. he hides then i say where is duckie and he comes out and i yell peek a boo!! and he does his little scovy hiss thing. i call it laughing cuz that's what it looks like to me. but he keeps going back to do it all over again.

Back
Top Bottom