My Mallard Drake won't service the other Girls

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PlumTuckered, Dec 7, 2010.

1. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I've got 1 Mallard Drake, 3 Mallard Hens, 1 Scovy Hen, 2 Pekin Hens and 1 Runner/Magpie cross Hen. All are between the ages of 7 months and 20 months. My drake is happily topping the Mallard Hens and the Magpie/runner cross but he will not top the Scoy Gal or the Pekins. My Pekin Gals are the two oldest of all my ducks and they've taken to topping each other like crazy LOL My Drake is 8 months old and in the last 2 months I've not recieved a single fertile egg from my Pekins or Scovy so I know he's not doing his thing with them. I spend hours with my ducks every day and haven't even seen him attempt to top the Pekins or Scovy. Anyone else ever had this problem?
    I've decided that I'll buy some Scovy eggs in the spring to hatch out here in the house with hopes of getting a new Drake for my bigger girls (of course I also want more scovy hens :))
    Do any of you with Mallards in a mixed flock ever see the drake top the bigger girls? My Magpie/runner cross is bigger than the mallard drake and he tops her but refuses the other 3 gals and I'm stumped big time. I realize there's a possiblity that he is topping all of the girls and he's a dud but I figure I'd at least see him topping the others now and then with as much time as I spend out there with them.

Michelle

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    "When you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with." Seperate him from the mallard hens and out of lust he will mate the pekins. The muscovy presents an iffy situation. Once he starts spreading "it" around, he may mate all of the hens in the flock.

3. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Thank you :)
    Hmm not sure how I'll seperate him, I don't have the Mallard wings clipped..unless I lock him up in the duck house with the Pekins at night. My Mallards never stay in the pen anymore except to eat and play a bit, they fly back out and into our pond all the time. My Pekins, Magpie cross and Muscovy hens always come into their pen at 4 in the afternoon and are locked up in the duck house for the night just before dark hits. Looks like it's time to put a roof on the pen.
    Is it unusual for a Mallard Drake to top a Muscovy Hen?

Michelle

4. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    I have three white Muscovy girls. The friend I got them from had a white drake, three white ducks and one gray/blue duck, all Muscovies. She said the gray/blue girl would follow the drake and "flirt" with him but he preferred the white girls. He did not mate with her until the others were sitting on nests and she wasn't. There were quite a few colored ducklings by the summer's end so he eventually got over his "distaste" for her. Don't know if this has anything to do with your Mallard drake's preference or not, just letting you know of another drake who "came around". I will be getting one of the colored young drakes this week so I can have some ducklings of my own next year!! [​IMG]

5. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Congratulations on getting a Drake :)
    Funny you mention that the Hens were white. My Pekin Hens and my Muscovy Hens are all white. My Scovy Hen has a wee bit of grey or lavender on her but is mainly white LOL

Michelle

6. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    The Pekins and Muscovy may be too big for his liking...?

2-3 lb. Mallard Drake vs. 7-8 lb. Pekins and 7-8 lb. Muscovy

[​IMG]

Edited to fix Mallard's weight lol

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I have noticed with feral ducks that they seem to have a preference for those of their own body type and breed. I.e., runners tend to like runners, mallards tend to like mallards, pekins like pekins, with some exceptions (there's a pekin drake that loves mallard females). But, when the hens disappear, they will go after whoever is left. However, I've never seen a wild mallard take on a feral muscovy female.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  8. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    I can't wait for ducklings......but I will not be letting anyone sit until March at the earliest. It's just too cold now.....high today was 18, it's going to warm up a bit this weekend but then....snow...then more cold.......lows below 0 F. Aggghhh!! I can't wait for Spring! Maybe once it's here, your drake will be so "full of himself" he'll take on the other girls! [​IMG]

9. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    That was the only thing I could think of...that the Pekins and the Scovy Hen are too big for him..they are quite a bit bigger, one of my Pekin Hens is a Jumbo. I think I'll plan on getting some Muscovy eggs in January, hatch them in the house and by the time they were big enough to leave the brooder to the outside pen the nice weather would be here.

Michelle

10. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    LOL Notafarm, one can only hope. He's a darling Drake, very friendly, follows me all over the yard, sits at my feet and talks to me. Lately he's been making his mallard gals go into the duck house and showing them the nest that my Pekins lay their eggs in..he stands there and talks up a storm to those hens...I wish I understood duck! I can't wait till your gals start hatching babies, take lots of photos please :)
    Our warm weather starts around the end of March, sometimes the middle of march so I figure hatching eggs in the house around the end of January will give me the 8 to 10 weeks that I like to keep them in the brooder before moving to the outdoor pen.

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by