My mallard female and her eggs🥚

Millymoo

Hatching
Apr 4, 2020
So last April we had a duckling that started to live in our garden. She hasn’t left and is quite happy here. as time has gone on we got her a little paddling pool, next was a little house for her to feel safe in at night. Safe to say she hasn’t left and is very happy, so friendly and we think she think she a Chihuahua dog! A couple of weeks ago she started to lay eggs. the first couple of days we found them in her box. The next time we didn’t think she layed any but she had. It was in a bush then another was in another bush. Now she has stopped laying in total it has been about 6/7 eggs.
so a few questions....
1. Why doesn’t she lay in the same spot?
2. Should she be laying an egg every day?
3. Should we be taking them away each and every time she lays ?
she has duck pellets and her oysters shell plus she has free run of the garden which we see her collecting her own food. We put her away in her box at night time to keep her safe as we go to think she can fly she has never done so.

So last April we had a duckling that started to live in our garden. She hasn’t left and is quite happy here. as time has gone on we got her a little paddling pool, next was a little house for her to feel safe in at night. Safe to say she hasn’t left and is very happy, so friendly and we think she think she a Chihuahua dog! A couple of weeks ago she started to lay eggs. the first couple of days we found them in her box. The next time we didn’t think she layed any but she had. It was in a bush then another was in another bush. Now she has stopped laying in total it has been about 6/7 eggs.
so a few questions....
1. Why doesn’t she lay in the same spot? Usually it's because the hen hasn't settled on a spot. I often see this with my turkeys until they find a spot they like and feel safe with.
2. Should she be laying an egg every day?Usually every day with a no lay day here and there. Each day the egg is laid a little later until there's a day off and the process starts all over. My bantams often lay three days then a day off.
3. Should we be taking them away each and every time she lays ? Without a male the eggs are infertile. Should you leave them she may go broody then you could find some fertile eggs to give her to hatch. Otherwise, collect them if you want to.
she has duck pellets and her oysters shell plus she has free run of the garden which we see her collecting her own food. We put her away in her box at night time to keep her safe as we go to think she can fly she has never done so.

If the mallard is flighted she may have gone and found a male. Should there be wild mallards in your area it is quite likely she did, unless she is totally imprinted on people. That would only happen if she showed up in your garden as a very young duckling.

so a few questions....
1. Why doesn’t she lay in the same spot? Usually it's because the hen hasn't settled on a spot. I often see this with my turkeys until they find a spot they like and feel safe with.
2. Should she be laying an egg every day?Usually every day with a no lay day here and there. Each day the egg is laid a little later until there's a day off and the process starts all over. My bantams often lay three days then a day off.
3. Should we be taking them away each and every time she lays ? Without a male the eggs are infertile. Should you leave them she may go broody then you could find some fertile eggs to give her to hatch. Otherwise, collect them if you want to.
Thank you for your info, how can I get her to start laying again ?

If the mallard is flighted she may have gone and found a male. Should there be wild mallards in your area it is quite likely she did, unless she is totally imprinted on people. That would only happen if she showed up in your garden as a very young duckling.
She is still very much with us, she is very people person duck. Just unsure why she has stopped laying and when she does it’s all over the shop we have a egg hunt most days some we find some we done 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom