My mallard hatched during the night!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MDeVry, May 22, 2011.

1. MDeVry

MDeVry New Egg

Feb 14, 2011
    He is running , peeping, knocking the other eggs, half dry half wet. When should he be taken out of the incubator, fed , given water? I dont see him anywhere near his old egg eating from it.The feed is Purina Flock Raiser -a dry feed with protein 20% can he eat it dry or should I wet it for him? I am worried the incubator is too hot for him - its fan operated and 100 degrees.
    Any help would be appreciated, I guess you can tell I am new at this. I really wasnt prepared because I never thought the eggs I ordered would hatch. But now I understand why you all are so in love with your birds. I am hooked.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It can take just moments for someone new to ducks to realise how wonderful they are. So glad you have had such a positive first encounter with a new duckling. It will be fine in the bator for a while- opening at the wrong time can compromise other eggs you have in there. The yolk it absorbed just prior to hatching will keep it going for a while. Because it is still wet- it will be ok in the high heat too. Being damp it needs the higher temp so it doesnt chill.

Congratulations. And hope your little one soon has some friends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by