My mallard is laying an egg a day! I read they only produce 80-100 a year?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mynameisjustjen, Jan 25, 2014.

1. mynameisjustjen

mynameisjustjen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    North Georgia
    Missy is has laid an egg a day for 2 weeks straight!? This is her first laying season as well. Is this unusual, or is there a slow season where she won't lay at all? Cause at this rate she looks to be a Khaki Campbell, dressed as a Mallard. Well, she is a happy duck!

2. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    one of my mallard girls are laying about every 3 or 4 days some times every 2 and this is her first year and she is already hiding the eggs i think she is broody

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You got it - to everything there is a season - at least for mallards, I am told, and she is in laying season now. There will be a long time of not laying, if she follows the mallard playbook.

4. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i am hoping my mallard girl will stop laying until the end of next month when it heats up a little

5. mynameisjustjen

mynameisjustjen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    North Georgia
    I finally cooked up one of her eggs she had in a clean diaper. I have washed the others in warm water-not cold- as I have read. But am weary. My egg handling skills are new. Lol.

Her egg I ate recently was the first EVER I had eaten! Couldn't tell the difference between a chicken egg AT ALL. I was surprised. Quite tasty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by