My mallard laid eggs!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cath892, Nov 23, 2012.

1. cath892

cath892 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2012
    pennsylvania
    She laid two eggs over night under her heat lamp. Will they be ok? or should i bring them inside and take care of them? I checked them, one has something in it, the other I'm not sure

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    How old is she? It's rather cold now and if it's her first eggs they aren't the best candidates for hatching

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    They were not both laid over night, likely one was laid and hidden since ducks will bury their eggs. if it has something in it she likely has been sitting on it for 5-7 days to make it visible to you. If she is a new layer she may stop sitting before the eggs ever hatch, if she does sit till hatch she could be a bad mom and not take care of the ducklings. In both cases you need to be set up (incubator and brooder) and prepare to care for the ducklings, or finish the hatch.

We hatch year round here, but we do not have cold weather and can have ducklings outside without worry about the cold. Most who live where it snows will not hatch or allow birds to hatch this time of the year unless they are caring for the hatchlings inside in a brooder.

4. cath892

cath892 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2012
    pennsylvania
    i'll get that set up then. Yes it is very cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by