1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

My Mama Hen Died unexpectedly....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by briecheeze87, Nov 18, 2014.

1. briecheeze87

briecheeze87 In the Brooder

Nov 18, 2014
    I have a coop with one mama hen and her 7 babies (all about 7 weeks old now) and on Sunday morning, mama hen was walking around and I left for about 5 hours, I come back and she's dropped dead in the middle of the coop, Babies all seem to be eating and drinking well, they have a cozy coop to go into for the cold thought, I still feel awful them loosing mama hen like that.

I hope you find out what happened, we looked all over her for any signs of fowl play (no pun intended) and nothing. I’ve never had a chicken mysteriously die.

I have 5 free range chicken who usually roost in that coop that the babies are in (but have been locked out since the babies were tiny) I want to open the coop back up as its getting cold at night, but i am worried about exposing the babies to the other birds, since they were in contact with mama hen and I have no idea what could have killed her. She wandered into my yard about 8 months ago and stayed, so no background.

Also how do I introduce the new babies to the older flock (3 hens, 1 rooster & one very large mildly aggressive hen, 1 Peking duck & 4(3male, (1 female) mallards). I know I have to do it slowly, but I have a sneaking suspicion that 4 are roosters and 3 are hens, and I don’t want a cock fight on my hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: