My maran girl had been laying a little over a month and stopped?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickengirl1304, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    She's been awesome laying about 5 a week. Well if she doesn't lay today that will be 4 days and no egg. Should I worry that she's egg bound or is this normal?

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    probably needs more sunlight.

3. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    Is she being pecked a lot? rather than not laying is she behaving normally? my EE stopped laying after few weeks and did not laid in two and a half months. Our fellow chicken lovers in this forum suggested that she quit laying because of cold weather. She started laying last week, she is at the bottom of the pecking order and I supposed she was under a lot of stress. Maybe she has adapted to the pecking by now (she is 10 months old). I hope your hen is not egg bounded and rather just taking a break like mine did.

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I know you don't NEED a rooster to have eggs but I have young hens 7 months old that had laid just before the big winter hit, and now we are coming back into spring (here) and my neighbors hens are all laying and they have roosters, I am feeding commercial feed and meat scraps, and lettuce scraps, brought them cooked brown rice, and getting them their water, they have a light, they have a heated pen, and I let them out at 6:45 am. Just today I pealed back all the winter snow shelters, thinking maybe they were in the dark too much.our goose rules the roost so she may be harassing the hens. she has no mates and gets jealous. I don't mind roosters, and was planning on getting one anyway. I didn't have one for a while to give the hens a break. I got eggs from other farms to hatch. now all my breeds are different, I know mixed breeds are not breeds they are just mixes. it is fun to see all the different colors and kinds.

5. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    You really don't need roosters to get eggs at all, but roosters sometimes help make sure nobody is getting picked on. I am not sure why your chickens wouldn't be laying. It is strange...but it might just turn around. They really do need a good bit of light to be able to get enough Vitamin D to produce eggs. Anyway I hope it all works out, and will be happy to hear an update.

1 person likes this.
  6. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    Well I guess she was just taking a break because I got an egg today :) so she went 3 days with out laying. Strange :) I have lights in all my coops and she's in with my layers and they've all been rocking it lately that's why I was wondering ;) thanks all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by