My maran is almost 9 months old and no eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StarLover21, Sep 9, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Today is my girl, Nutella's, 34th week birthday, and she is yet to lay an egg [​IMG] She has had a problem with mites before; perhaps that has stunted her growth? She isn't squatting either, but I doubt that will ever happen, as she is SO flighty! Has now had mite preventitive and has been wormed. She seems very healthy, to me, although she is pretty little, for a 8.5 month old.

Any ideas? I really hope she lays soon!

Here's some pictures of her:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    I guess everybody else is just as confused as I am [​IMG]

3. JenaRN

JenaRN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2012
    Ohio
    Hmmm, I am not very experienced with chickens but I have a Marans that is younger than her and MUCH larger (although she is a black marans) I wonder if she is just stressed from the mites? I'm sorry I am no help :( Hopefully someone else with experience will chime in.

4. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    is she free ranging and hiding them?

or could it be the colour is not chocolate and they are there but your not difrenciating them for the others

there are many reasons why she is not laying but pinning it down to one thing is gonan be liek finding a needle in a haystack blindfolded

best bet is to check for the common signs like red comb, pale legs, 3 or more fingers gap between pelvic bone high keel etc etc

currently she looks like a layer as her legs are white as snow and her comb is red (that is a common trait)

the only last thing is her overies are not developed and it a internal diformaty (i have seen this in non laying hens that i have culled)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  5. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Yeah, I know what you mean about her being small. [​IMG] She is now mite free, but the mites may have caused her to be small.

She's 'kinda' freeranging, in our back yard, and we have checked over it thoroughly. We are going to confine her to the coop though, JUST in case, but I really don't think she's hiding her eggs.

No, I think I would know if she was laying. All our eggs are fullsized, and we only have 5 layers, and I know each individuals hens egg. I hope it's not an internal issue :(

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by