My Maran is finally laying....XXXL Jumbo's!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by budda, Dec 22, 2011.

1. budda

budda Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Atlanta GA
    My EE and Speckled Sussex are laying some big eggs and are the same size as large eggs at the local grocery store....my Maran however is laying eggs that do not even fit in the egg carton. she lays one every other day....and their gigantic!! She has been laying for over a month now. Body size wise, she is much larger than the rest of the flock consisting of all standard breeds...Speckled Sussex, Barred Rock, EE, Welsummer and Silver Laced Wyandotte. She is about 8 or 9 pounds. Any chance she will continue to lay XXXXL eggs in the future cause if so, i am gonna have to buy some different egg cartons or cut the tops out for some of her eggs so they will fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yep! That's a big 'un! [​IMG]

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I LOVE the color of those eggs! Are they double-yolkers, too?

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Why not just eat um? One egg would make a few omlets. [​IMG]

5. budda

budda Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Atlanta GA
    Not double yolkers. Singles only. We eat them but we get 5 to 6 eggs a day right now from our 8 spring chickens.

6. Hobiedog

Hobiedog Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2011
    Lowell, MI
    I get a gigantic egg each day from one of my Black Copper Marans. The ones that I have cooked have all been double yolkers. In the beginning I thought it was because she was a new layer, but she has consistently been laying them, I'm beginning to think that she may continue to lay them, at least I can hope. My great niece sells them and she gets extra $ from one of her customers when she throws in some doubles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by