1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Maran Question...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blessedchickenmama7, Jul 19, 2008.

1. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    I bought two Marans from a breeder. I didn't really know what I was buying, I only like the dark colored eggs. (Don't flame me, I am a fairly new chick mama.) Anyway, my chicks are now about 3 months old. They are in with Australorps, Golden Comets, and Ameracaunas. The rooster is the largest, most beautiful chick I have. The hen is nice looking. But here's the issue. About every few days I have to do some attitude adjusting with the both of them. They peck and grab at my hands when I go in to feed. I really think it's excitement about eating, because they are chow hounds. (They eat more than any chick I have.) But they are rough and I have taken to swatting them away. I don't want to be too rough, but if they are like this at almost 3 months, how in the world are they going to be when they are older. All the other chicks who are in with them are sweet and gentle. It's just this pair. They are gorgeous, but I am ready to stew 'em before I ever get that first dark brown egg... The rooster did fly at me once and peck me, but we settled that and he has never done it since. Now it's just pecking at my hands. He's also "rough" with all the other chicks, but I think it's just normal roo behavior, so far anyway.

Any ideas how to make them stop pecking besides swatting them?

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I had a few of mine,( Orpingtons, not Marans though) at first that did the same thing...I just scooped the culprit up and carried them around for the rest of the time I was in the coop. Soon they tamed down and I've not had a problem since.
    I can pick any of them up and carry them around, roos included. Only one is a bit hard to catch but resigns herself to the handling once caught. They rarely peck at me anymore unless I forget and use wet hands to dole out veggies and some get stuck on my hands... Then I guess they consider it fair game.

3. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I would pick them up very regularly and hold them. Holding them often will help with this. You can't handle them too much.

4. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Thank y'all. I will try the holding and see if it works.

5. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Mine have always been very gentle. Sometimes chicks just act differently. Maybe they are afraid they won't get enough to eat. Do you have one feeding dish? If you do,try adding another one. That may make them feel more at ease.

6. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Well, this morning I went out to check on my chicks and my big Maran roo was out. (Something had broken down my coop overnight and the top was nearly caved in on them. He and one other chick were out. Whatever did it could not get the chicks because the top fell down. Thankfully it did not crush them. Anyway, he came right up to me stood still, let me pick him up and never flapped or anything. The other chick did as well but she flapped around a lot after I tried to put her back in the pen.

Anyway, thank goodness nothing got them while they were out. I am sure they waited until the predator was gone to try to find the hole to get out. And I'm glad I got there before the smaller ones got out. My dog would have had them for snacks... Big Roo can handle the dog though...

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Funny, isn't it? The way they can behave so aloof, but when it comes down to brass tacks, they know who the big mama is. I'm glad no one was hurt. Have fun rebuilding that coop. I'm supposed to be outside building right now, but shucks, it's Sunday and I'm tired.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by