my Marans hen is SO sweet with the chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chkinut, Feb 18, 2011.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i just have to brag about my girl! She will be a year old on April 12th....she loves to sit on my lap and loves it when i gently hug her. i just LOVE her! she's a Silver Cuckoo Marans. Anyway, she was busy laying an egg today, so my EE (Ginger) was hanging out close to the 7X12 dog kennel that i had my 4 chicks in (two 5-week old BCM and two 3-week old OE). i felt sorry for ginger for being on the OUTSIDE of the kennel, while me and the babies were on the INSIDE. so, i let her in....she came in, ate the babies food, and pecked at them...so, out she went! not welcome anymore! lol! i know the behavior is to be expected. then, later in the day, same scenario, except i let Cricket in (my SCM) while Ginger stayed OUT. well, Cricket came in and ate their food too, but she did NOT peck ONE of those babies!!! what a sweet girl! i was so proud of her!
    and another good thing that happened today with my 4 chicks is......all but one of them are kinda scared of me....especially the 3-week olds.....but the one chick that loves me dearly (Gabby) hopped up on my lap and was an example to her friends....before i knew it, i had all 4 of them on my lap of their own free will! i gently talked to them and petted them. today was a great day with the girls! [​IMG] and Ginger, i forgive you! [​IMG]

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] That is adorable! My silkies aren't half was forgiving, and yes, having chicks following you is a sign of dominance. All the other birds - including the roosters - must back off when they hear little peeps approaching...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by