My marans is sick, help please!Update she's died!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marlene, Dec 11, 2011.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I posted a few days ago that my blue marans had hurt herself, she was dragging her right foot behind her. I wondered why she had been hiding under a bush all day and it wasn't till she finally moved that i saw she had injured herself.
    From the advise given here, i placed her in a grate with wood shaving, water and food so she didn't move around and hopefully she would healed.
    That was friday morning, it is now sunday and i am concerened about her as it appears she has not touched her water or food, i am thinking there must be some thing else going on for her not to be eating and drinking.
    Could it be impacted crop, egg bound or any thing else?, i need ideas and suggestions on what to check and how? I have only been keeping chickens for a year and up to now not had any illnesses to deal with so fairly new to this.
    I will now fill the sticky from the top of this page in again incase it helps some one with a diagnosis. Many thanks.
    Ps just want to add that up until she went in the crate she was eating fine.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Blue marans, 25 weeks old, don't know her weight
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Leg injury plus she is not eating or drinking
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. She has a leg/foot injury. She is dragging her right foot behind her and limping with the other.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing that i know of.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Before this layers pellets, scratch, oats for breakfast and she free ranges.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Yesterday it looked normal, have not checked her poop today.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? She is in a crate so that she does not move around and further injure her leg/foot
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat at home
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. No pics
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use crate with wood shavings, food and water (vitamins in water)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Update- I have bought her into the house so i can keep a closer eye on her.
    She has pooped but not a lot for a 24 hour period, but if she's not eating then i imagine there is not going to be a lot of poop. Felt her crop and it feels totally empty so at least i know it's not impacted crop. Felt round her belly and can't feel any lumps to indicate she is egg bound.
    She is just in her crate sleeping and not moving at all. Could a leg/foot injury make her stop eating and drinking? Not sure what is going on or what i'm facing here, really need help from you experts.

3. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi marlene i am from UK also. My 12 week old polish frizzle fell off the ladder in her new coop 2 weeks ago and hurt her leg. She didnt eat for a couple of days but i put it down to being in too much pain, she didnt drink either so i syringed some water with a little bit of suger just for energy. Shes eating & drinking normal now but still cant walk on her leg.. Im thinking of putting a splint on.. Hopefully its just the pain of the leg. Keep us posted hun on any other symptoms. [​IMG] Tracy

4. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Quote:Thank you for the response i appreciate it.
    How do i suringe water into her? i have read on here if not done properly you can cause more bad than good.
    I will be keeping a close eye on her and and keep updating on how she is doing. Let me know how you do the splint and if it helps.

5. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Anyone else with any input on this problem?

6. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I can't believe she has died, 1 minute she was ok then what seemed like a leg injury and now dead, i am in shock. What was wrong with her? are my other hens at risk because maybe she had something? Please don't ask me to open her up to find out because i really can't do it.

7. Tracy the chick

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Aw im so sorry for your loss [​IMG] sorry i didnt reply back my inlaws came.. You might have to keep an eye on the other chickens and see if they show any syptoms. She could of had an infection if she did brake a bone as it might of bled when she broke it or she could of had an infection in her bone called osteomyelitis which would give her blood poison. Im only going by the leg injury here, but it could be something totaly different like Mereks.. Hopefully it was a one off but just keep a log on your other chickens.. Theres nothink worse when a chicken dies and you dont have a clue whats happend..Chin up hun and keep us updated. You can private message me if you like as we might live in the same area. Tracy xxx

8. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Thank you Tracy.
    I just don't understand what happened to her and how quick it was. I noticed thursday afternoon that she was hobbling a bit on her right leg but she was still getting about on it, even though she did spend most of the afternoon under a bush, she moved when when she wanted/needed to.
    By friday i noticed after breakfast that she was struggling to walk on her leg so i bought her in and checked her over, i could not feel a break on her leg but she seemed uncomfertable when i touched it, (and i did check the leg pretty good) i put her back out and she went straight under the garden table and slept, when she moved i noticed she was now dragging her foot behind her and trying to hop on her good leg, at this point i put her in a crate with food and water, i checked on her a few times and she seemed comfertable but had not touched her food and water.
    This morning when i let the hens out i decided to bring her in the house to keep a closer eye on her, i pcked her up and petted her a bit while i cleaned the shavings up. She had only pooped a little bit for a 24hr period but as she had not been eating it did not surprise me.
    I went to pick up my granddaughter and when i returned she was dead, it shocked me and i run out the room panicking (i don't do death very well), i returned to double check she was deffinately gone, i expected to see her sitting how i had left her but it upset me to see her on her side with her legs spread right out behind her with all the shavings pushed away where her legs were. Did she struggle maybe when she died or have some sort of fit? she had not moved from her sitting, fluffed up position for nearly 2 days so to find her in that position upset me even more.
    I don't know, sorry for rambling on, i'm just so upset, wish some one would chime in and give me some ideas, now i'm worrying over the other hens and looking out for them getting sick, as i really don't know what happened to have taken her.

9. Tracy the chick

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi marlen, i dont think she would of struggled hun, i had a hen that died on the table in the vets. She was very poorly so i took her to get put to sleep, they gave her an injection and vet listened for a heart beat and said shes gone, then all of a sudden she kicked her back legs out strait, i paniked and the vet said its very normal its just there reflexes. She most probebly died in her sleep and it was just her reflexes that put her in that persition.. I live in the co-durham area and its bloody freezing here and i have a chicken who is inside today not so well, its awful that you do everything possible for these pets and when one dies you feel like you didnt do enough but you did what everyone else would of done.. Take care. Xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by