My Martha has died :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fuzzyllama, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Fuzzyllama

Fuzzyllama In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2018
    I've just experienced our first loss. My lovely Martha passed away not long ago. I've checked her over and I can't see any obvious signs of injury.

She's about 8 months old, i noticed yesterday that she seemed a bit off, not scratching about as much as the others, not running as quickly for meal worms, but still happily gobbling them out of my hands. The last few days she'd also been laying in the run rather than the nest box (all others laying in the box).

I went to clean the poop trays this morning and found her laying in the nest box, lethargic and with laboured breathing, she died shortly after. No obvious signs of respiratory infection.

I've looked at her crop and taken a picture because I don't know if it looks normal. I'm wondering if maybe she had sour crop? It doesn't feel impacted and I hadn't noticed it bulging at all on previous days when holding her.

I am absolutely devastated. IMG_7366.JPG

Saaniya likes this.
  2. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017
    New Delhi India
    Oh I'm so sad to hear she is too young to leave . her crop seems full that's not right in the morning , maybe she's sick from long and u couldn't recognized her health mostly chickens are master in hiding symptoms of their sickness only symptoms come up when situation are worst .

It can be sour crop and sour crop is fatal if left untreated bird will die on its own if bacteria build up much and they can't handle

:(

3. Fuzzyllama

Fuzzyllama In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2018
    I just feel so terrible that I didn't notice and that she has gone. She was the chicken I had bonded with most, she used to sit on my lap and jump up on to my shoulder, she was so lovely and I feel like I've let her down :(

How can I spot sour crop in future ?

4. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    Greetings Fuzzyllama,

It is absolutely heart wrenching when a beloved hen dies.

All keepers have or will go through this event. As the years go by, you will develop the ability to look at a chicken and know that it is ill before the chicken does! How will this ability come to you?

You will research, study and work directly with your birds. Watch them closely, and know how they look, act, eat, drink, and poop, when they are healthy. Examine them every few months, or when one looks off.

Start today...this evening you will pick up each bird once they are entering the coop. Feel their crops. There should be a bulge, some big, some small. This is the food they have just eaten. In the morning, you will check them again. The crop should be flat and empty, look at their poops, too. They should be firm with bulk.

If a chicken's crop is hard with food first thing in the morning, that is not good. This is an impacted crop. If the crop feels like there is some food in it, but it feels soft and doughy, and the chicken is making gaseous sounds, or smells sour and foul. This is very bad, it is sour crop. When there is a problem with the crop not emptying, this chicken will be lethargic, sleepy, not eating, sometimes drinking more water, and their poop will be very wet or watery.

The crop contents will start to decay and ferment, if it does not move down into the proventriculus, then the gizzard. There will be yeast and yes, even some bacteria that normally, would not be a problem.
    chicken anatomy 2.jpg

You should have some remedies on hand for this, so that you can treat it quickly. Every keeper has their preferred remedy, from antifungals to crop bras.

Like Saaniya, stated, if not treated, the chicken will die. This is a condition that will affect a chicken in your flock occasionally. And there is usually something else like infection in the body, a pendulous crop, or even injury to the crop, that causes this problem in the first place. Some chickens just have a genetic predisposition for it, too.

I recommend a good book on chicken health. Gail Damerow's "The Chicken Health Handbook", 2nd edition, it's very informative. It will help you when a chicken is sick.
    Most of all, you need much forgiveness, for yourself.

We are only human, and all of us are in the process of learning. Not even scientists can solve all the mysteries of the lowly chicken!

These are my thoughts on your chicken's death. I hope they are helpful.

God Bless and peace to you. :hugs

Saaniya likes this.
  5. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017
    New Delhi India
    Sour crop is very easy to caught .
    If u regularly check ur chickens crop in the morning .usually a normal functioning crop will full in night and will be totally empty in the morning it hardly even feels it totally disappeared .if in the morning checks u feel a watery crop extended abnormally squishy Smell from beak (Smell like bad milk ) . sour crop not always extended much until its worst beginning sign is squishy feeling ..
    Beginning of the sour crop successfully treated with Fennel Tea

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/sour-crop-treatment-naturally-medically.73449/

Hen Pen Jem likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: