MY mean but littlest rooster

Shaggy chicken

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 18, 2013
I'm 13 years old and love all my chickens my favorite chicken is a rooster he's a bully but I love him so much I can't get rid or kill of him he's my show chicken what should I do?:/

Well, I guess if you love your mean little rooster, you're going to have to deal with his aggressive behavior and keep him locked up if you ever have visitors to your home (especially if there are small children around) to keep him from injuring someone. If that were to happen, your parents would have to pay for the damages. Some people will suggest to carry him around, or keep backing him up. That may or may not work. Honestly, I've never tried those things as I prefer not to keep a mean rooster. Good luck! I hope you can work it out.

He only chases he won't attack me just people he hasn't met he's my # 1 chicken he's pretty and is number 1 in shows he nice to the hen but not nice to the other roosters
:cd

He only chases he won't attack me just people he hasn't met he's my # 1 chicken he's pretty and is number 1 in shows he nice to the hen but not nice to the other roosters
D.gif
Attacking people is not a good trait. I would definitely keep him penned up when you have other people around. I also would not breed him. If you want to keep him in good show condition, I would keep him from the other roosters to prevent him from getting injured.

I do keep him pinned and I am not looking forward to hatching(but I wish) I just am really worried about him I don't want to make him Christmas dinner he doesn't really attack he jumps at them as if he was scared:(

Shaggy, I have had some experience with aggressive roosters. The first one, a beautiful Buff Orpington, attacked me and my husband repeatedly with his spurs and drew blood. We kicked him away, hit him with a pole, but nothing helped. He seemed to like the fight. He ended up in the soup pot. I have since added 2 Rhode Island Red roosters to my flock. They were hatched in May 2013. About a month ago the alpha rooster flew into my legs a couple of times trying to establish dominance. I tried something new. I watched how the roosters crowed, flapped their wings wide, and kind of walked sideways toward each other. I started imitating that behavior and it has worked. Neither of the roosters has bothered me. My husband calls it my chicken dance. :
D.gif
He laughed at me, but I see him flapping his arms when he goes into the back yard where we let them free range. If I think one of the roosters is getting too close, I flap my arms high, slapping my hands against my legs and walk towards the rooster. They always back away. So far, so good. But if I end up with another rooster that attacks me, he will become soup.

I doubt that your guy is jumping at someone because he is afraid. He is trying to intimidate and dominate or protect the hens from something he considers a threat. Once his spurs are fully developed, he can do some serious damage. When my buff attacked us, he flew at us FAST with his feet out front to get us with his spurs. He would walk parallel to us, slightly behind us and wait until we weren't watching him, then WHAM!

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom