Bama-chicks

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
Alabama
He pecked my toe, drawing blood, and now started pecking an egg I was collecting! Golden cuckoo maran at 24 weeks.. I have small kids, he's got to go 😞

20210920_143909.jpg

I hate it, I feel like I failed him!

What is most likely to happen with the remaining flock since he is top of pecking order?
I have another GCM rooster (who has been the shy loner) and 4 hens ( 2 GCM, 1 olive egger, 1 lav orpington)

What is most likely to happen with the remaining flock since he is top of pecking order?
I have another GCM rooster (who has been the shy loner) and 4 hens ( 2 GCM, 1 olive egger, 1 lav orpington)
In my experience the hens breathe a deep sigh of relief and go about their days as if nothing ever happened. :idunnoMaybe that's just my weird girls?

He pecked my toe, drawing blood, and now started pecking an egg I was collecting! Golden cuckoo maran at 24 weeks.. I have small kids, he's got to go 😞

View attachment 2840541

The pecking might have been just pure curiosity. Do you by chance have painted toe nails?

And pecking at the egg that you were about to take away might have been his attempt to hold it back from being robbed. This was his future offspring.

If there are no other signs of aggressiveness I would not get rid of him yet.

Hey don't say that! It's not your fault at all. I reacon probably 60% of roosters turn out to be bad guys.
It's just what happens.
Sorry it turned out this way for you.
They'll get on just fine. Most likely the remaining rooster will become head of the flock.

The pecking might have been just pure curiosity. Do you by chance have painted toe nails?

And pecking at the egg that you were about to take away might have been his attempt to hold it back from being robbed. This was his future offspring.

If there are no other signs of aggressiveness I would not get rid of him yet.
No polish on toes but I do have a tattoo on that toe! Haha!
But he met me at the door while the rest of the flock was in the coop settling for the evening. I opened the run door and he was staying right in front of me and started poking out his chest when I stepped one foot in. That's when he pecked me. He's always right in front when I go out to give them treats or really do anything. He seems to be trying to protect the flock.

That's what I was just thinking.. he's probably bullying the rest of them and they'll be happy to have him gone. I just don't want the other one to take his place! He's most likely the bottom of the flock currently. He keeps to himself and doesn't go after treats.

Oops This was supposed to be reply to @LizzzyJo

No polish on toes but I do have a tattoo on that toe! Haha!
But he met me at the door while the rest of the flock was in the coop settling for the evening. I opened the run door and he was staying right in front of me and started poking out his chest when I stepped one foot in. That's when he pecked me. He's always right in front when I go out to give them treats or really do anything. He seems to be trying to protect the flock.
It's less of "the" flock than it is either "your" flock or "his" flock. Which one do you want it to be? I like mine to me "my" flock and I like to have them range around all of my friends and family when hanging out outside, so I don't keep roosters past maturity. It's all about what each chicken keeper wants from their flock.

Back
Top Bottom