My Meat Birds Are Dying

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mtnhomechick, Mar 31, 2009.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I bought 20 meat birds 5 weeks ago from the farm store here. They came from Estes Hatchery. I lost 3 within the first two weeks. Then all seemed fine. They are 5 weeks old now and this morning I noticed some bloody stool and this afternoon when going to feed them again I find yet another dead one. Seems like they shouldn't be dying at this age. I can understand when they are young or fully grown........but 5 weeks???

Last year I ordered 25 from Cackle and only lost one within minutes of delivery. It was an extra. Is it the difference in hatcheries?

4 out of 20 is a 20% loss. Doesn't that seem kind of high for mortality?

Mary

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    are they in damp quarters? cocci could easily be the issue if they are.

also, if they were at the feed store, were they in a bin where anyone could touch them? only goodness knows who was touching them. (it is my personal opinion to not buy from feed stores where the stock is left out to be handled.)

hope you find the issue and it can be resolved. [​IMG]

3. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:Actually they were not able to be handled at Orscheln's. I had to have a clerk pack them up for me.

As far as dampness......I do have them outside with a light in a covered run, but it's not very damp. Maybe some dew in the morning would be about it. I had them outside last year also.

Thanks for the reply though.

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Are you taking the food away for twelve hours? We remove the feed at seven at night and put it back down at seven in the morning. Are you giving them extra vitamins? Murray has something they call Broiler Booster and it helps. You use 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. Welp Hatchery, www.welphatchery.com has a vitamin Pak which is probably the same thing. What are you feeding them? I think it is important to feed them broiler feed rather than regular chicken feed if you can get it. We can't so we feed ours turkey feed. Hope this helps.

The first time I tried to raise Cornish X it was a disaster. Someone gave them to me and I knew nothing about them. I fed them regular chicken feed, no vitamins, and left the feed out all the time. Most of them died, and the ones that didn't became crippled.

5. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:At this age I am withholding food for about 8 hours per day. Reason being they're not real big by any means. I feed them 22% wild game feed.

I am not giving them extra vitamins but for the first week or so I gave them a mix of wild game and starter grower with amprolium.

6. zippy11455

zippy11455 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
  7. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    My go at it this year has not been near as productive as last year. I have to wonder if it has anything to do with the stock. These have not been as vibrate as last year and I have had way more loss. Maybe in an attempt to get more babies out quicker the parent stock are sub-standard or too young.
    I have said in a previos post how I am using the same practices, same hatchery as last year and have not been pleased with this bunch. I've got a few that dont even have back feathers yet, and seem dwarfish. Mine are five weeks as well. In comparison to last year these are not as big. I will try again when these are gone, but I am really considering Rangers.

8. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:Mine seem much smaller at 5 weeks compared to last year also. The only difference this year is that I got them earlier in the year and from a different hatchery.

Did you get them at the same time last year?

9. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Since I have no experience with Coccidiosis can anyone tell me if there is anything I can do for the meaties. If it is Cocci, will they likely all die from being exposed to it?

They are warm and dry and eating Wild Game Feed. Anything I am missing here?

If the one that died today has Cocci, are the others even safe to eat in a few weeks?

10. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You can treat for coccidiosis with Amprol or Corid. Some feed stores carry, but I actually bought my gallon from a vet's office that was willing to sell it to me. You can also buy it online from First State Vet Supply. It goes in the water for 5-7 days, then half dosage for up to 2 weeks.

When I've raised Cornish in the past, they usually have to be medicated for coccidiosis. Anytime I see bloody droppings, I start the medication. Also, you can get a fecal float test from almost any vet that will confirm coccidiosis. The one I got only cost about $18. Once you learn what the droppings with cocci look like, you will be able to recognize it in the future.

From what I've read, Amprol and Corid have a 1 week withdrawal rate before slaughter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by