My Meat Chicken Looks Sad!!!

Edith123

Hatching
Apr 8, 2020
I’ve had this chicken for a month and 2 weeks and recently I noticed it looked sad and when it Napa it stands up with its feathers puffed up. I don’t know if it’s sick and itS poop is watery and has a bit of blood in it. It is sort of eating and drinking water once in a while when it’s awake. I deprecated her from the other chickens because I wanted to see if she would eat. During the day we take her out in the sun but she only stands still and sleeps. Please help me I don’t know what to give her and how to keep her healthy.

Attachments

• 9FDF03B2-6CFA-4943-9A78-73252EECBCC5.jpeg
    9FDF03B2-6CFA-4943-9A78-73252EECBCC5.jpeg
    502.6 KB · Views: 17
I’ve had this chicken for a month and 2 weeks and recently I noticed it looked sad and when it Napa it stands up with its feathers puffed up. I don’t know if it’s sick and itS poop is watery and has a bit of blood in it. It is sort of eating and drinking water once in a while when it’s awake. I deprecated her from the other chickens because I wanted to see if she would eat. During the day we take her out in the sun but she only stands still and sleeps. Please help me I don’t know what to give her and how to keep her healthy.
Welcome To BYC!

Where are you located in the world?

Can you get photos of the poop?

Blood in the poop is often an indication of Coccidiosis. If you are in the US, you can use Corid (Amprolium) which can be found in the cattle section of stores like Tractor Supply.

Use the Severe Outbreak Dosage.
1586403167441.png

So sorry for your loss.

I raised Cornish-X meat chickens one time and they just seem to be bred for a short life measured in weeks. I think I harvested all my meat chickens at 8-10 weeks, but honestly, I don't think they would have lived much longer anyway. They are bred to put on weight fast and die young.

If your other meat chickens are doing well, I would not worry too much. I always expected some loss when raising chickens. But it's never an easy thing to accept.

So sorry for your loss.

I raised Cornish-X meat chickens one time and they just seem to be bred for a short life measured in weeks. I think I harvested all my meat chickens at 8-10 weeks, but honestly, I don't think they would have lived much longer anyway. They are bred to put on weight fast and die young.

If your other meat chickens are doing well, I would not worry too much. I always expected some loss when raising chickens. But it's never an easy thing to accept.
My other chickens were in the same cage and I don’t know if they are healthy or also sick but I never want to go through anything like that. The way it died was like it was trying to breathe and it looked like it was gagging but, when I heard it scream it was dying and my mom didn’t want it to suffer any longer so she killed it and I’m currently sad and trying not to think about it but I became to attached to it that even writing this I’m crying 😭 thank you for the feed back even though it was to late. Are there anyways to prevent this from happening to my other chickens if so than is there a way to tell when they are sick.

So sorry for your loss. It does sound like it could have had coccidiosis with the blood in the poop and weak, sleepy condition. Corid from your feed store is good to have to treat for it, if you see others that seem sick. It is true that meat chickens are meant to butcher by 6-8 weeks of life, and they can sometimes die of heart failure.

My other chickens were in the same cage and I don’t know if they are healthy or also sick but I never want to go through anything like that. The way it died was like it was trying to breathe and it looked like it was gagging but, when I heard it scream it was dying and my mom didn’t want it to suffer any longer so she killed it and I’m currently sad and trying not to think about it but I became to attached to it that even writing this I’m crying 😭 thank you for the feed back even though it was to late. Are there anyways to prevent this from happening to my other chickens if so than is there a way to tell when they are sick.
I'm sorry :hugs

Are the other chickens meat birds as well?
If they were all together you may want to watch behavior and inspect poops. If any of the rest seem a bit sluggish, then treating for Coccidiosis would be a good idea.

What are you feeding them?
If they are meat birds they are mean to be processed in a short period of time since they are not bred to be long lived like other breeds.

I have 10 meat chickens and 12 normal chickens and they all share a coop and eat hatch to hen starter pack food. The meat chickens seem healthy and can walk perfectly fin but that chicken just stood there sleeping and before it died it’s poop was white and gooey. Thank you for the feed back also the day before it died it was stung by a bee.

I think your mom did the right thing. I don't want to see any of my animals suffer needlessly and I too have had to put down more than one animal in my care. It's OK for you to be sad, but more importantly, you are thinking about how to protect your other chickens and keep them healthy. Not all chickens will survive despite your best efforts. Just because one chicken gets sick and dies, does not mean that your other chickens are infected. In my experience, a loss of one animal rarely affects other animals. If you do see other chickens suffering from the same symptoms, then maybe there is a problem. But I would continue on caring for your chickens with your best practices and I think you and your flock will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom