my meat project

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Tad, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Tad

Tad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    finally posting pics

The ones on the ground are 3 weeks yesterday, and the ones in the brooder were picked up today from the post office
    funny thing I ordered 50 and now I am down to 40 I sold 10 while I was standing in line at the post office [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    nice set up. How many do you have?

3. Tad

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    I have 35 cxr on the ground and 40 in the brooder, with another 40 on the way for dec 2nd, I am running them in 3 week intervals

4. NancyP

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Cool, I am on the last week of my first ever batch. Started with 32 and now have 28. It has been a great learning time. What is your plan for housing when they are bigger?

5. Tad

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pen is a 32 x 16 so it should hold them, in 3 weeks the first batch will be ready for pickup, and the 3rd will be in the brooder, if I have to build more pen I can.

6. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    are they for your personal consuption or for sale

7. NancyP

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Wow that is really nice.

8. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

What a coincidence, we are on almost the exact same schedule, my first batch turned 3 weeks old yesterday too,
    then I have a second batch that turned 2 weeks old yesterday and I have a third batch coming on December 2, as well.
    I am thinking you got yours from Welp because they only ship on Wednesdays and that is when all of yours are being shipped.
    How long did it take you to get your in your location? I know it only took a day this time since you picked them up today, was it the same way with last batch.
    The last batch took me 2 days, got them on Friday but they all did awesome, very hungry but all alive and energetic.
    It will be interesting to follow each other's experience and compare notes.

9. Tad

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    we will end up eating a few the rest will be sold off, I have a group that has comitted to purchasing them starting at 5 weeks.... will weed the larger ones out first let the smaller ones grow for another week or 2.....I have started ordering now at 3 week intervals, 3rd batch due in december 2nd from welp, these others are from ideal.

This is the good pen, I have a much uglier one:) I just dont take tooo many pictures in it, thats where the layers usually hang out, but I have them penned up under lights right now trying to get enough eggs to fill up the hovabator!!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  10. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I want palm trees!!! I wish I could raise them later in the year too!! Even though the cool weather break is nice....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by