My Meatie Project - Frustrating Start

doubleatraining

Songster
12 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Franklinton, NC
If you have read my other threads you can see I have had a horrible time with this latest CornishX batch. I called Meyer to let them know how much trouble I was having and how I only have 2 of the chicks left and they were VERY nice and sympathetic. They are sending me a new batch today so it should be here first thing Thursday morning.

I plan on taking pictures and keeping track of everything on here. I'll clean out their pen and bed it tomorrow.

I'm getting 26 and they will be in a 4x4 brooder. It will be attached to an above the ground run that they can go out in later. They will have a heat lamp on them 24/7 for at least the first week.

I'm going to get them medicated chick-starter feed to start them out on then give them a 20% non-medicated grower. I also plan on giving them Save-A-Chick from the start to help with any shipping stress.

Cross your fingers this batch makes it!!

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear things haven"t gone well - we too have a batch coming either Thursday or Friday....you know now I'm gonna be watching for your posts to see if mine match up! Here's to better luck this time around for you!

Sorry for the late update. All 25 arrived safe and sound yesterday(thursday) morning.

I have decided to cheat a little. Since the last batch I brooded went SOOO bad I decided to ask a local hatchery to brood them for 3-4 weeks until they could go outside without heat. He agreed to keep them for an exchange of a few of them for his freezer.

He called me this morning....only 11 are still living. He says they seem fine, very active, all eating and drinking....then he checks on them to find a bunch dead. UGH!!!!

Tomorrow morning is the 48hr window for Meyer's guarantee. I'll be calling to let them know how many have made it. This is just getting really really frustrating. I'm not sure I'll ever do Cornish X again.

How odd. My first batch of meaties ever is out there, 5 weeks old and the smallest is 6 lbs, from Meyer. I did lose one. It just failed to thrive then went south. But that is acceptable to me. What you are experiencing isn't.

Galanie, I would be understanding of loosing 1 or 2 as failure to thrive but OVER half is unreasonable. I'm probably going to ask Meyer to send me their Rainbow Broilers for a replacement. They obviously can't send me a decent batch of Cornish X.
he.gif

That REALLY is awful to hear...what a major bummer! I was so hoping things would go better with this batch for you. I don't know I would blame it on the birds though, but I'm a try, try again person...have you considered a different hatchery maybe? Just saying...

Also, I was wondering, in another post you mentioned splitting a batch with a friend - how was their survival rate? It seems to me from readin you started with 13 and ended up with 2 birds...how did they do? Just curious...I might have missed something too....

What I'm getting at is, if you tried, a friend tried, and a third party now all tried to brood them and didn't make it even to cornish hen sized before they dropped like flies...but here all kinds of other people are keeping them alive long enough to process a baby turkey sized chicken...well...it DOES NOT seem like your fault or even the breed so much as potentially something else...who knows...

I mean, they aren't hardy long lived things by nature we all get that, but the babies should really not be that hard it would seem to raise. IDK what it could be, but if it was me, I know I would be switching hatcheries just to see if I didn't have better luck before I gave up on the cornishx'es. IDK...just don't add up though...

Quote:
Yes, that's what I said, it's unreasonable. Yet we both have birds from the same source. I'm with you, might as well go with the others with the luck you're having. That sucks!!

Ok so final update.....talked to Meyer they give up. They are refunding me for some of the chicks and said they are sorry.

I'm so freaking frustrated. I was really looking forward to adding some birds to the freezer.

Just because they give up, don't let yourself give up!

Yes, it's a set back, but as quick as these birds grow, it's not that major! (In all honesty, I probably woulda tried to get my money back too). IDK what you spent for them at Meyer AFTER shipping...but I spent $39.50 at Welp AFTER SHIPPING for 25 straight run - granted I think they miscounted because there were only 21 in the box (unless a USPS employee squeezed some out to take home to the kids or something crazy)....but all 21 were peachy keen great after 3 days travel to Texas, and yes, it's only been 4 hours at the house with me, but think about it...they were hatched the 19th...they are really 3 days old and doing well at this point.

Sounds like that beat your odds with Meyer (not rubbing in, really honestly trying to make a valid point here)...so why not try another source once your refund goes through? Money permitting, of course, I know how budgets can be.

Also, I honestly am still curious to know what exactly happened with the first batch you split with a friend - to the friends half specifically - just curious, please excuse my nosey nature. And really, give another hatchery a shot before you give up. I will say I was impressed with the health/quality of the chicks I got today too! All legs straight and strong, all beaks attached straight and not criss crossed and not one nasty bum or funky looking belly button - I was expecting at least one wompy leg, or pasty butt, or something weird - but nope, everyone is put together straight and level. I have 2 I'm keeping an eye on - I always pick one or 2 I think may not make it so as to lessen any disappointment...those 2 are the littlest and slowest...but that's it, just smaller and slower...still eating and drinking...c'mon...feel the evil pull that is baby chicks and look into another source...c'mon....
smile.png
Don't get down, just find another way to get what you want!

Back
Top Bottom