1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

My meatie setup (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Chicken411, May 24, 2010.

1. Chicken411

Chicken411 Songster

Feb 11, 2010
    Mountain West
    The roof isn't finished, but this is it. I lock them in the coop section at night because we keep them at a friend's house and I can't keep a close eye on them and I worry about predators. The coop detaches from the run, so we can move it in sections. When I go over at night, they are already in the coop settled in for the night, so it makes it easy. I love cornish cross. They are so friendly and cute. These pics were taken at 6 weeks 5 days. Are they looking to be a good size? They have eaten 300 lbs. of feed so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickenboy7c2d

chickenboy7c2d Songster

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    whooo, how many birds do you have in there? you'll have a nice bit of meat to last you a while.

3. Chicken411

Chicken411 Songster

Feb 11, 2010
    Mountain West
    There's 26 (hatchery sent one extra) in a 9x10, and the coop is 4x8.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  4. chickenboy7c2d

chickenboy7c2d Songster

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    they're getting big. some are bigger than a couple of my laying hen

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I'd use a heavier chicken wire. A strong raccoon could get through that.

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Very very nice and CLEAN! impressive set up, sounds like you haven't lost even one, good job! What age are you going to butcher at?

7. burntmuch

burntmuch In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Montrose MI
    Nice looking set up. Do you have chicken wire on the bottom of it.

8. Chicken411

Chicken411 Songster

Feb 11, 2010
    Mountain West
    Purple-I'm going to have to meet that racoon before I change it out. Not that I'm doubting you, just don't want to do that work over again unless I have to, so I guess I'm going to have to learn that one the hard way if I do. Hopefully, the big baddies will stay away. Myabe I'll be up to it in a little while, but definitely not now.

Thanks for the compliments Katy. I've been really blessed. Almost lost two, but after seperating them they both recovered. Just found out I've been feeding 18% protein for the last 250#, instead of the 20% I thought I had been feeding. They changed the mix on me after the first bag. Kind of upset, but maybe that's why they are doing okay.

I have about 3 1/2 bags of feed left and will probably butcher them when the feed is gone. I won't be doing another batch until fall and am afraid the feed might go bad by then?

burnt-I have chicken wire on the bottom of the coop, so it is completely secure at night. The run has a wire skirt around the outside to discourage digging, but no wire on the bottom. That's why there are all those big rocks sitting around the outside, to hold the skirt down.

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:I like your setup and think it's pretty secure, especially since you have the chicken wire rolled out onto the ground to deter a digging predator.

Here in the northeast we have some coons that have ripped things apart that amaze me. I just don't know how they do it other than brute strength. You wouldn't have to redo anything, just put another layer over the existing layer.

I'd be happy to do it for you in exchange for a few of them meaties. They look delicious. [​IMG]

10. Chicken411

Chicken411 Songster

Feb 11, 2010
    Mountain West
    Quote:I like your setup and think it's pretty secure, especially since you have the chicken wire rolled out onto the ground to deter a digging predator.

Here in the northeast we have some coons that have ripped things apart that amaze me. I just don't know how they do it other than brute strength. You wouldn't have to redo anything, just put another layer over the existing layer.

I'd be happy to do it for you in exchange for a few of them meaties. They look delicious. [​IMG]

We have some pretty large coons here too. I just hope they leave my meaties alone. LOL I would totally trade you a couple to do that work! Too bad you're not closer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by