My Meaties

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by deChickyHen, Sep 12, 2011.

1. deChickyHen

deChickyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    1 week to slaughter..... Hi I'm new here [​IMG] I must say that I love this site, I'm on my first batch of meaties ( 50 ) at 7 weeks old.... it has been alot of fun raising them, my biggest weighed in at just a lil over 9 lbs, believe me these are some greedy buggers, I have them in a 6 by 6 coop at night and they are in the yard most of the day, they are somewhat lazy, it is fun watching them catch bugs and eat them. I have had 1 who broke her leg, she is different than the rest, she has recovered, is not as heavy as the rest, she is not goin to slaughter, I just cant do it.. hope she makes it. I heard they really don't live past 8 or 9 weeks. but she is crazy [​IMG] and we will see, that thing flies all over the place [​IMG], and is a bully to the ones that are 3 times her size [​IMG] will let you know how slaughter day goes [​IMG]

2. WishboneDawn

WishboneDawn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    There are people on here who've had meat chickens live for 3-5 years. We didn't process ours until 10 and they were all very fit and healthy birds with no issues whatsoever. People tell you LOTS of stuff about CX's. Best just to carry on and trust your own experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by