1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Metzer duckies came. Right on time. PICTURES ADDED

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Denninmi, May 25, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Oh, they came, it worked. All 12 seem really vigorous and healthy.

They have to spend the day in my car while I'm at work. Alas, this is my only option in terms of getting them right now.

I've got a complete set up in there == two batter portable power stations, a brooder box, 5 watt florescent light for light, my Brinsea ecoglow for heat, a big plastic bin for a brooder, food, water, screen and towels for the top. They're all snug in there.

Even mother nature cooperated, it's pouring buckets and going to rain all day, temps around 70, so not too hot, not too cold. Luckily, I can park anywhere from an underground garage to full sun if need be, so I can go move my car all day to keep them happy.

They've had little drinks and a little snack. They were so hungry they were trying to chew my fingers.

I wish I had a camera phone.

As long as no one wonders why my car is peeping!

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    [​IMG]

Congrats, that's awesome!! Sounds like you've got it under control and they'll be quite comfy. If anyone does notice, they're in for a happy surprise when they look in your windows. [​IMG] Everyone loves ducklings!

Good luck with them. And of course: Post Pics!!!

3. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    What kind did you get?

A friend and I ordered eggs from them also..... they are currently under her broodie goose as I type. I'm excited!

4. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    [​IMG]

5. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:I ordered 12 of the Golden 300 Hybrid females -- these are the ones bred just for layers.

We want a lot of duck eggs in my household. I got my extended family hooked on duck eggs, we all do a lot of baking and they're the best. My sister made a really awesome sponge cake to take to a party this past weekend and used 21 eggs to make enough cake to take. The Rouen hens I have now can't keep up with the demand for duck eggs.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  6. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Quote:I ordered 12 of the Golden 300 Hybrid females -- we want a lot of duck eggs in my household. I got my extended family hooked on duck eggs, we all do a lot of baking and they're the best. My sister made a really awesome sponge cake to take to a party this past weekend and used 21 eggs to make enough cake to take.

POST PICS!!!

This is exactly the breed I chose!!! And I chose them for their egg producing abilities also! How exciting!!!!

7. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:I ordered 12 of the Golden 300 Hybrid females -- we want a lot of duck eggs in my household. I got my extended family hooked on duck eggs, we all do a lot of baking and they're the best. My sister made a really awesome sponge cake to take to a party this past weekend and used 21 eggs to make enough cake to take.

POST PICS!!!

This is exactly the breed I chose!!! And I chose them for their egg producing abilities also! How exciting!!!!

Definitely when I get home tonight. I should have brought the camera with me, I actually thought about it just in case there wasn't a good outcome from the shipping and I needed to e-mail a photo to Metzer's, but then forgot it.

8. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    what state are you in? I was thinking about ordering the Golden 300 from them, but I am in FL and I am not sure about the long trip over here.

9. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Quote:I'm in south eastern AL and it took 2 days for a box from Metzer's to get here last August.

10. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:I'm in Michigan, suburbs of Detroit.

I think the shipping timeframe is pretty standard anywhere in the continental US, going to take 2 days unless there is some major problem like big storms in Memphis at the Fedex hub.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by