My Metzer order arrived!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nodaksnakelover, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Nodaksnakelover

Nodaksnakelover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    North Dakota
    A friend of mine and I were talking some time back how she was going to get some ducks for her farm and in the conversation encouraged me to put in a small order for some. So she got hers today from one place, and I got mine from Metzers. 8 Welsh Harlequins and 2 White Cresteds. This will be the first time I've ever had ducks, but will only have them here at home for a short time before they go to the farm. But for now I'm enjoying them here at home as is my six year old daughter.

I knew going into this how messy ducks can be, so I thought long and hard how to keep the water somewhat contained. The best idea I came up with is getting a kitty litter pan. Cutting chunks out of a floor matt to the pan size and placing them in there on top of each other. Cutting out one side of the litter pan about two inches high more or less. And then having the water inside this and it's working great so far. All ten of them are doing fantastic and we are enjoying them immensely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I LOVE the watering idea... will use it if I ever get ducks baby ducks again...

Congrats on your babies [​IMG]

Edited: look like you have a little crested in there... aren't they the cutest...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  3. Oghdoff

Oghdoff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    SE Texas
    lol. I love the waterer idea! Been trying different things today with my Metzer babys waterer. I find they get less water everywhere with the quail type water base. They are still messy, but they are ducklings!

4. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    WONDERFUL WATERING IDEA!!!!! I just rec'd my Metzer Babies this morning too. One White Crested male, Two WH females and One Buff Male - to mix and match with the nine I already have...putting together trios of the same breeds.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  5. Nodaksnakelover

Nodaksnakelover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    North Dakota
    I am stunned at how much water ten ducklings go through! They empty this quart waterer in ten hours! They sure love their water! And even with this set up they manage to get some water outside the open sided area. But I can only imagine how bad it would be in the brooder without this set up! Am enjoying them but will be glad to see them go to the farm in four days time. I really look forward to seeing how my Welsh Harlequins turn out!

6. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Adorable [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by