My mice *pics*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NewHopePoultry, Jan 7, 2008.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Lilly-Lilac self
    [​IMG]

Lacy-chocolate tan
    [​IMG]

Opera-Black Broken marked longhair
    [​IMG]

Lance- Broken Marked Recessive Yellow (RY)
    [​IMG]

Godzilla- lilac Broken marked longhair
    [​IMG]

2. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    they are really sweet! i love the special colors!

that last one looks a little . . . preggers perhaps? could mousezilla be a girl?

i had a little mousie friend for awhile. he was neat! i just wish they had longer life-span 'cause i'm such a wuss and i get all upset when my animals pass. i had ratties for awhile and, same thing, couldn't handle that they don't live for a decade.

your mice are very lovely and they look so tame and happy to be sitting in your hand.
    lucky you!
    f. weeble

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Cuties! How long do mice live?

4. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    The last 2 are males, the first 3 are females, so nope, the last one isn't preggers [​IMG] He is just very "fluffy" and big.

Fancy mice live 1-1/2 to 3 years. 2 years being the average.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:Until the Chihuahua or my mom sees them........
    :eek:

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Ah, I love tans so very much! beautiful! [​IMG]

7. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    [​IMG] aww lacy is so cute lol

8. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I like Opera. Neat markings. DH would never let me have a rodent pet, LOL, we work too hard to erradicate the pest ones!

9. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Funny how those are so adorable and yet when a wild one runs across the floor it's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. I also think they're cute when I see them outside where they belong, but not around my girls!

10. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Awww...how sweet they are. I used to have a hooded rat named "Tita" and she was such a character. I miss her. I used to keep her in a bird cage that would hang right by my window so she could see out of it. When I'd get home I'd let her run free around the apartment but she would "chirp" when she heard me open the door. Like a bird! I thought it was kewl!

The only time she was in her cage was when I was at work though...otherwise, she was queen of the apartment!

Also, later...I rescued a hairless rat from a neighbor's kid. The kid got it as present but didn't want to clean it's cage, play with it nothing. I called that rat "Pelon" (which means hairless) and he was mean at first. He bit me on the finger and my dog moses on the nose on the first day. I had heard he was anti-social but I didn't realize how much so.

I was bound and determined to tame him and let him hang out with me...not be caged up all the time. So, I worked with him...putting him on a table while I handled him with gloves. When I had him on the table I took off gloves and would tap him every once in a while to get my smell on him! He would turn so fast and try to bite me but I was faster. AHA!

This went on for about a month and eventually, he was eating peanuts out of my fingers. It was truly a test of trust...for BOTH of us! Me being at the most disadvantage.

I remember the first time he took a peanut from my hand. He had put his teeth on my finger and tugged a bit then when he realized it was my finger and not a peanut he let go until he got peanut. I was holding my breath for a bite. LOL! It didn't happen.

From then on he would lay on me while I read or on the bed while I was doing stuff. He was a bit blind so I think that's why he was too afraid to jump off bed. He would curl up with me.

Four years after I got him...I had to have him put to sleep because he developed too many tumors but that was the first time I cried so hard for a rat. I swear I was depressed for a whole month. Gosh, I miss him NOW!

Thanks for bringing back those great memories. Enjoy your critters. Didn't mean to hog your topic. [​IMG]

Pedro

PS I can't get another rat but if I ever hear of one needing a home...in a second, I'd say YES! Not because I've changed how I feel about them...but they do live short lives and they ARE so smart...you can't help but get attached to them. Even the hairless ones...cute in an ugly sort of way.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by