My Mille Fleur's hatch out Porcelains!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GracefulBantams, Sep 27, 2010.

1. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I have a pair of Mille Fleur d'Uccle whose eggs sometimes hatch out as Porcelain d'Uccles. I think I've figured out that this means one or both of my adults caries the Lavender gene which is what makes Mille Fleur become Porcelain.
    So........ if Porcelains hatch will they breed true for Porcelain? If Mille Fleurs hatch will they breed true to Milles if they're mated to their variety? Or will the possibility still happen that the M.F. will hatch a P.?

2. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    This means that both of your birds are split to porcelain. It is just mille fleur plus lavender.....so a bird with only one copy of the lavender gene will carry it but not show it. Crossing two splits will give you both regular milles and porcelains.

Porcelains from crossing splits are still porcelains. Crossing them together will give you all porcelains. Crossing a porcelain to one of the parent "splits" will give you half porcelain, half split to porcelain.

I think. LOL.

ETA: The only way to stop getting porcelain would be to have one bird who is NOT a split....if crossing a split to porcelain to a NONsplit regular mille, you will get half Mille that don't carry lavender, and half Mille that do. All will appear normal mille though.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  3. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks! That's a better answer than I could have come up with, I know that much [​IMG]

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    When you breed a bird carrying the lav gene to another bird carrying the lav gene, you will get some porcelain, some carrying the lav gene and some that don't carry the gene (pure mille). There's no way to tell which mille's carry the gene unless you test mate them. But in answer to your question, certain pair ups will still continue to produce porcelains until you identify which ones don't carry the lav gene.

5. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by