My Mini Farm * My story * Chickens & Rabbits

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by WinterChicks, Feb 11, 2015.

1. WinterChicks

WinterChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    I'l just start off where I am today. Let's see. Some thoughts that are prying at my mind are:

My chickens could have MS and my parents are getting more chickens in a couple days [​IMG]
    My Bramha (Momma) was the one who showed it, she started limping and I found a bump in between her toes on one foot. We are treating naturally every hour (I try anyways).
    [​IMG]

I have a rabbit due in about a week, this will be my first litter. She's a cute Holland Lop, Dana:
    [​IMG]
    She stuck her ears up as the camera flashed! This will be her 3rd litter, but her 1st with me. I hope for some broken babies! You can see her and my 2 other does breeding records on my website (link at end)

I also have cage-free Tigger, you see, he had to come with the does. He's a mix and too big to breed, but he loves the does and loves to play with the chickens (not that they like it)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There Tigger is getting his morning drink :)
    [​IMG]

Fern should be pregnant, two successful breedings within 24hrs of each other. I will breed one more time then say no more.

One of my bantams is trying to go broody-she sits all night and into the morning but before noon she's off the nest to stay untul night. I took away her eggs.
    [​IMG]
    Jinx puffing at me.

I think that's all....

oh yeah, sweet Vern keeps biting me [​IMG]
    Maybe it's all the does or he senses he other buck as competition. Anyways, if he doesn't straighten up I will have to get a replacement buck. Maybe one or two out of each litter I should be having. Or I can buy a pedigreed one.

Anyways-that's all for now. I'll update later.

Ph, here is the link to my website: (under construction) Please take a look and tell me what you think!

http://dustywindsrabbitry.weebly.com/

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Those are pretty chickens and rabbits. When you say "MS" do you mean Merek's disease or something else that I have not heard of?

Edit: I looked at your past posts to see what you meant by MS - Mycoplasma Synoviae. For any one who is curious what MS is, here is a link:
    http://waddl.vetmed.wsu.edu/animal-disease-faq/mycoplasma-synoviae

I hope Brahma Mama gets better.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  3. WinterChicks

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    Okay. :)

Thank you & thanks for reading!

4. WinterChicks

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    So we got the five sex links. They are roosting in the coop right now. at 10:05PM.

They will be separated in the mornin' though.

The rooster is all in love [​IMG] <him...me>[​IMG]
    These hens won't do the submissive squat-little bantam rooster isn't used to that...he danced right into a wall! Tallk about love struck [​IMG]
    I'm tired & it's late though.
    So:

The chickens didn't roost last night..they bedded down in the hay-it got REALLY REALLY cold. Everything liquid was frozen solid.. even the rabbits pee...THAT made it hard to clean. [​IMG]

My rabbits are good and here at Dusty Winds babies are due in a week or so!!!
    Fern should be pregnant, Vern has fell off threee times...her babies in a month I hope!

Anyways I'm gonna go!

5. WinterChicks

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    Holy Chickens it's been FOREVER since I've been on here.

I don't have chickens anymore [​IMG]

But I can still write about my rabbits if anyone is interested?

6. WinterChicks

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    It's been over a year since I last posted in this. That's right, I don't have chickens anymore. BUT I MIGHT BE GETTING SOME IN THE SPRING. I am SO excited! If anyone reads this please hope/pray that it works out for me to get some chickens again. I've missed them soooo much. [​IMG]

I still have rabbits, I'm from Ohio and this year I went to California to the national rabbit breeders convention with the Ohio youth team and we won first place team breed id! (that's where you identify the breed, color(s) and class of rabbits and cavies!)
    We also placed 2nd runner up for team judging, which is where you judge classes of rabbits/cavies based on the standard of perfection. [​IMG]

I can't decide what breed of chicken(s) I want..it may be partially up to my grandparents though, but I'll be taking care of them. Any good laying breeds that are nice and friendly? I think of Buff Orpingtons right away. I also like the gold comets, I used to have one and she was scared at first but warmed up and followed me around the yard ^-^ [​IMG]

7. Lil Peeps

Lil Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    Just came upon this thread and was wondering where the rest of it was! I loved hearing about your chickens and especially your rabbits! Great pictures of them all, too! Did your Rabbits ever end up having their babies? Ooh, did you end up getting some chickens?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by