My mini-tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MomMommyMamma, Sep 1, 2010.

1. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have removed all of the info and the picture because we did not use metal hardware cloth and this is causing some to feel anxious that I am putting our chicks out to be devoured by voracious animals all night long. Which is ABSOLUTELY NOT THE CASE. This was essentially a play-pen, daytime, short period play area for our little ones to hang out in on our deck. We homeschool and are home all day to watch over them. With 5 children around, the chicks are hardly left outside to fend for themselves.

I understand and understood prior to helping my sons make this little structure that IT WAS NOT PREDATOR PROOF.

Thank you for what I am assuming was all good hearted concern. I hope that I have not lead anyone astray and caused them to create such an unsafe structure in which they left their chickens outside in and lost them all to predators.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  2. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    It looks cute since your children built it, and I am sure they are very proud of it. [​IMG]
    But, it is far from predator proof. [​IMG]
    Dale-Ann

3. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:It's not meant to be predator proof. It's for little chicks who spend their day right on my porch and come in at night. It's just a nice break from the brooder for them.
    It will keep cats and dogs and hawks from them. The entire thing is wrapped in hardware cloth.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  4. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    That is such a good idea! I like it!

5. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I think you and your kids did a great job. A great way to keep them involved. I'm sure they are very proud. [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Two thumbs up for the crew who managed to design and build this neat little tractor!

7. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    They did a really good job! I'll bet they're proud of it [​IMG]

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Just a question about terms. When most people refer to "hardware cloth," they're talking about welded wire. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like what you have on the tractor is made from plastic. When people talk about using hardware cloth for predator protection, they're not talking about the plastic stuff, they're talking about the metal stuff.

You know that your little daytime playpen is not predator secure, though, so I 'm sure you're not leaving your chicks in there overnight or anything.

9. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:This is not metal hardware cloth. This is plastic type netting that is labeled by the manufacturer as "Hardware Cloth" that we purchased at Lowes. And no, it is not predator proof and no I do not leave the chickens in it at night as I mentioned above.

Thank you to all of those who gave us a positive pat on the back! [​IMG]

10. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    Yes, Elmo, it looks like plastic mesh to me, too. If it is, then it is as good as no protection. I hope that we are wrong for the kids' sake.
    Dale-Ann

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by