Hello! Something happened today that reminded me to be positive even when things may seem at their worst. Thats why I will share my duck story with you. I lost my male Rouen and female Black Swedish ducks last month to a fox. They were not even a year old and had just started laying eggs for the first time. I am new to having ducks and had no idea about egg laying and hatching. I went out and bought a dimmer heat lamp and vermiculite and made a homemade incubator. I collected 5 eggs and thought I would let her hatch the rest (if she would). On the 8th day of laying they were taken by the fox. I sadly collected the remaining 3 eggs in their coop, including the one she laid that morning. I researched and incubated the eggs. 6 were duds and 2 were promising. Midway through one of them failed to progress. Multiple times a day I would hand turn the one good egg and check the temperature and humidity. On the 29th day there was a dark spot on the shell which later turned out to be a pip. I could hear no chirping or anything even though there was a nice looking pip in the middle of the egg. Several hours later there was no progression so I moved away the broken shell and saw a little egg tooth and a beak. It wasn't until I did some e search that I noticed the duck was upside down (or facing the small side of the egg up). A day passes without any progression or chirping. I start to get panicky as there is a lot riding on this egg hatching. I start helping it out with tweezers and slowly chip away the shell. Suddenly I notice that the duck can't get her head out as it is behind her foot and leg. I also notice that her placenta is on the side of the shell beside her leg and the thick membrane is preventing her from progressing too. So for the next 36 hours I slowly pick at the shell and keep a moist paper towel wrapped around the exposed membrane. Finally her leg is free and then a wing. Her body is still contorted in the shell and is pretty much resting on her head. She really can't move at all. I chip away the top and bottom and she is born in my hands. Immediately she seems to be chirping...I can tell she is tired but happy to be out of the cramped shell. Her eyes are still closed but she seems to be okay. I leave attached the shell piece which is attached to her, luckily there is no yolk left and everything is drying nicely. She just lays there and can't get up. She can kind of propel herself forward but can't walk or lift her head. Later that day I run to the drug store and pick her up some unflavored pedialyte. I grab a dropper and drip a few drops onto her beak, luckily I manage to get a few in. She perks up almost right away and is able to propel herself a little better. There was no way she could drink for herself, she would probably drown so I had to help out. Today, a little over 24 hours later, she is able to hold her head up fairly well. She is very chirpy and jumps around more. She is able to eat and drink herself and is going to the washroom just fine. Her legs still spread out when she tries to walk but they seem to be improving. She had one leg in front of her face while the other was behind her in the egg, sounds like a painful stretch to me. My daughter named her Daisy. She seems to be okay now and is the splitting image of her mom. The big difference is her orange colored patch on her chest and chin while her wing tips are white. I would like to thank all the wonderful people who post on this forum, I couldn't have done most of anything (from incubating to special needs care) without you!