My mixed flock is growing up!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Christabean, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Christabean

Christabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    California
    I haven't posted pictures of my chickens since they were babies moving outside, but now they're getting big and beautiful! Here they are last week at 12-14 weeks old, clockwise from top left: Henora/Sweetie Pie (Partridge Cochin), Chickodemus/Cutie Pie (Buff Orpington), Hewegg (Cuckoo Maran), Eggmelia (Silver Laced Wyandotte). The buff is the youngest and the maran is the oldest with about a 2-week spread (but they all were raised together from 2-4 weeks old). They are all buddies and like to cuddle up.
    [​IMG]

And here they are now at 13-15 weeks. They are now getting a bunch of ripe figs falling into their run; I'm jealous they get all the best ones!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    For feed store/hatchery birds I'm really pleased that they look pretty much like they're supposed to, to the untrained eye. The SLW keeps getting prettier and prettier (though she's not photogenic; always in a weird position!) and the lacing looks just as I wanted. I can see that the cochin has "vulture hocks" but she's adorable anyway. I don't plan to breed them (if I get more I'd probably go the route of slipping purchased eggs under a broody hen) so I'm not concerned about show standards. I'm looking forward to eggs next month or so . . .

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    They are pretty. I have a silver laced wyandotte that looks like yours, her name is Taylor. I purchased a buff orpington pullet but now that "she" is 16 weeks old, discovered she is a cockerel. [​IMG]

Yours are very lucky to live under a fig tree. LOL. Thanks for posting them.

1 person likes this.
  3. Christabean

Jun 21, 2016
    California
    Thanks! Yeah, I wasn't able to give them a huge run, it's about 6x15 including the space under their coop, but location, location, location! Sheltered under the dappled light of a huge fig tree. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    6 X15 is 90 SF .... which is over twice the recommended run space for 4, and they look quite happy too.

5. Christabean

Jun 21, 2016
    California
    [​IMG]
    Eggmelia has been hopping out of the run to hang out on the deck. I'm a little torn about whether to raise the fence or let her continue; her curiosity and sense of adventure is so cute and I don't think she can clear the outer fences. On the other hand, the little brat has been going after my begonias! :-D

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awwwwww. They are beautiful! Your pics turned out great, love them! Thanks for sharing and keep enjoying them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by