My mixed flock is growing up!

Christabean

Songster
5 Years
Jun 21, 2016
California
I haven't posted pictures of my chickens since they were babies moving outside, but now they're getting big and beautiful! Here they are last week at 12-14 weeks old, clockwise from top left: Henora/Sweetie Pie (Partridge Cochin), Chickodemus/Cutie Pie (Buff Orpington), Hewegg (Cuckoo Maran), Eggmelia (Silver Laced Wyandotte). The buff is the youngest and the maran is the oldest with about a 2-week spread (but they all were raised together from 2-4 weeks old). They are all buddies and like to cuddle up.

And here they are now at 13-15 weeks. They are now getting a bunch of ripe figs falling into their run; I'm jealous they get all the best ones!

For feed store/hatchery birds I'm really pleased that they look pretty much like they're supposed to, to the untrained eye. The SLW keeps getting prettier and prettier (though she's not photogenic; always in a weird position!) and the lacing looks just as I wanted. I can see that the cochin has "vulture hocks" but she's adorable anyway. I don't plan to breed them (if I get more I'd probably go the route of slipping purchased eggs under a broody hen) so I'm not concerned about show standards. I'm looking forward to eggs next month or so . . .

Last edited:
They are pretty. I have a silver laced wyandotte that looks like yours, her name is Taylor. I purchased a buff orpington pullet but now that "she" is 16 weeks old, discovered she is a cockerel.
sad.png

Yours are very lucky to live under a fig tree. LOL. Thanks for posting them.

Thanks! Yeah, I wasn't able to give them a huge run, it's about 6x15 including the space under their coop, but location, location, location! Sheltered under the dappled light of a huge fig tree. :)

Eggmelia has been hopping out of the run to hang out on the deck. I'm a little torn about whether to raise the fence or let her continue; her curiosity and sense of adventure is so cute and I don't think she can clear the outer fences. On the other hand, the little brat has been going after my begonias! :-D

Back
Top Bottom