My Mixed Menagerie

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by marymac, Jun 24, 2010.

1. marymac

marymac Songster

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I have a BLRW roo which I crossed with
    1 RIR
    1Buff orphington
    1 BLRW hen
    1 Plymouth Rock

I wasn't really sure which egg belonged to which hen, and now I don't know which chick is who either. I was hoping most of them would be the true BLRW 's. Trouble is they all look so much alike. I had my Silky hatch out 7 out of 7. From what I remember my splash BLRW 's looked like these babies, but there are a few that have some white in them. Anyone want to take a guess? Here are a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of my Roo, Sasquatch and my BLRW hen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Have you looked at their combs? Any that don't have a rosecomb will be a give away for a cross breed. Very cute- what a good silkie mama!

3. marymac

marymac Songster

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Quote:I never even thought of that. I'm not sure I could distinguish a rose comb at 11 days though could I? Thanks for the idea though.

4. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Songster

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Unfortunately, the genetics are working against in IDing them. Rosecomb, beautifully modeled by the closeup of that chick, is a dominant trait. If a rosecomb bird is crossed with a single comb, no matter which was hen or rooster, the offspring will ALL have rosecombs. I've just finished my hatching for the year, and out of 50+ birds with rosecomb ancestry, ALL had rosecomb! [​IMG] Crazy.

5. marymac

marymac Songster

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Awwwww shucks!!! here I thought it would be easy. I really don't understand all that genetic stuff, so I guess I just have to wait and see. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: