my mom decided to kill my chickies

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by orientphoenix, Jun 28, 2011.

1. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    I'm just so sad, i did not want her to kill my chickens but she did, she processed about 6 of them, the only reason i let her process them is because my mom promised another batch next year. I just feel weird now since I'm so attached to them

2. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    [​IMG]

it can be hard to process your birds, especially when you get attached

3. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Sorry hear that, they do become like family. Raising chickens though is sometimes like a revolving door, out with the old in with the new. Try looking on the bright side if you can.....Your mom promised you a new batch in the spring and just think of all the fun you'll have getting to know that batch. [​IMG]

4. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

[​IMG]

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    It is real simple. Don't eat pets and DO NOT MAKE PETS OUT OF FOOD!!!!!

6. chickan dippaaaaz

chickan dippaaaaz Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Unless youre going to quit eating meat, its better to know where your meat comes from. while I havent started processing my own YET, I plan on it soon.

You can feel good that you gave these animals a quality life unlike the regular store bought meat.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If you are unhappy raising chickens for meat, talk to your parents about it. Suggest getting birds for eggs or exhibition that they will let you keep long term. Make sure that you are polite and respectful in talking to your folks, and make sure you are keeping up with the responsibilities of their care.

8. vintage00gypsy

vintage00gypsy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Itasca County Minnesota
    It can be hard!!! My husband and I are always reminding ourselves and our kids that if an animal isn't earning it's place on the farm, it must be eaten or sold. It's how farming works, even on a small level. Pets are wonderful, and have their places, but we can't make pets of every animal. It's important not to choose a chicken you will bond with if you know you will be eating it. Perhaps you should pick a special bird as a pet and have a flock just for food. We had a meat bird turn into a pet... he was sooooo tiny compared to the others that we didn't dare turn him out. He ended up being called Micro - but was a MASSIVE rooster weighing in at a whopping 14 pounds!!! He would come when he was called, was potty trained to the house, could hear a fly swatter from a mile away and would ride in the car to the garden on the north end of the farm. We should have butchered him because he was bred for meat and his legs couldn't support him very well. He fell one day and the sheep trampled him. It was very hard on us.

Anyway, sometimes we can't choose which animal we love... but if you can - try to remember the importance of keeping their purposes in the front of your mind.

You should be part of the processing, too. You will come to appreciate them, and your food more. There are kind ways of butchering animals. If you prefer a more humane method because you care for your animals so much, maybe it would be best for you to implement a different way of butchering. We have a cone attached to the shed with a hole in the bottom. You slide the chicken down and pop the head through. There is no trauma, no ruckus, no flapping or insanity. It drains there and, in my opinion, makes better meat. An animal that gets all worked up laid on a block and stretched out releases chemicals into it's meat. Off subject. I was going for the humane thing. Point being - maybe if you can be part of the process it will make you feel better about it all.

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I processed 5 meaties, and I knew they were for food. I cooked them and I had a hard time eating them. Some people can do it and some can't. I would talk to your mom about maybe just getting a couple of special chickens just for you that will never be processed, that might help.

10. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    thanx guys, most of them were mutts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by