My mom is strange LOL

Crazy4Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Glendale, AZ
I just got off phone with mom- and some of the things she says drive me crazy -she will use saying like " a dollar to a donut " ex: I bet you a dollar to a donut ... or she will say " deader than a doornail " .... " madder than a wet hen " ( she will not use this one to much with me anymore since I told her when it rains my chickens are very happy LOL )

Does anyone else use sayings like these? or does a family member use them?and what on earth do some of them mean LOL !!
I love my mom but sometimes talking to her is a riddle !

Julie

Quote:
LOL! When asked how I am doing I tend to say "Fair to Midland". NOt sure where that came from but I guess it mean...fine.
roll.png

One a friend says is "we are all going to hell in a hand basket." as in to infer that there is total chaos. I guess? Where did THAT term come from, I wonder?

The one that gets me most is when folks say, (pardon me if I butcher this) "How do you like 'em apples?" to ask "what do you think of that?"

Oh heck there are others but that's one that comes to mind as most common!

Last edited:
It means if I win, you'll pay me a donut... if you win, I'll pay you a dollar...

donut worth about a nickel.... in other words

"I'd bet dollars to donuts" means "I am so sure of this"

I love colorful sayings.. they spice up our life and keep alive our ancestry.. and I don't care if it harelips every steer in Texas!

My mom is old and lives in Ireland, She is the queen of wired saying

She would say things like,

I haven't seen them in donkeys years.
Rarer than hens teeth.
They would have a name for money/land.

I think of more later..I gotta go

Quote:
My favorite viariation of that one is, "Where are we going? and why am I in this handbasket??" (usually muttered at work)

Some of my favorites:

Busier than a one-legged man at a butt kickin' contest.

Nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

A whistlin woman and a crowing hen never come to a good end (appropriate, don't you think?)

Slow as molasses on a cold winter morning.

When I first moved to Arkansas I had to figure out what "out of pocket" meant, as in "If I'm not too far outta pocket" (busy with something else)

Julie, cut Mom some slack. Before you know it you'll be saying the same things to your kids and other things too...the ones that when your mom said em, you swore you'd never say to your kids. Like, If a friend jumped off a bridge...would you jump too????

Also, in the South you can say just about anything you want about a person, as long as you say "Bless her little heart..."before or after it.

What about that scared the "Pee (Pea) wadding out of me"I know what pee is but wadding?

EXAMPLE: My husband's driving scares the pee wadding out of me. ( other people also )

Paganfish, I think the saying is "fair to middlin"meaning feeling somewhere in between fair and good and fair and bad. I like the word "copasetic" which is a good answer when someone asks " How is everything?" "Copasetic" means everything is running smoothly.
How about: "older than dirt"
"scarcer than hen's teeth"
"lost his marbles"

How about " happier than a pig in ( Poop ) !!
And for as long as I can remember I have been saying,
Best cake this side of the Mississippi!!
Best coffee this side of the Mississippi!! or whatever I think is the best at the moment.
I live in Western Canada so not to sure where I got that, although I did grow up on the Alaska Highway and met many American's as a kid.
My Mom always says, to each is own.

I don't know about pee waddling but around her we say dog snot...as in.... you scared the dog snot outta me. Or if we have something exciting or unbelievable to tell we start with.... You are gonna poop twice and die....

Back
Top Bottom