My mom waste my eggs!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by FarmerGrant011, Dec 7, 2011.

1. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    So today, I was giving my mom eggs because she wanted to cook pancakes. Some of the first couple of eggs had blood ( I found a hidden nest today...) and so she just threw them away! Yall should have SEEN my face [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I was like, MOM the chickens can STILL eat it!! lol. And she threw away five eggs, (about three days worth of eggs), then I had to stop her for the egg shells... I corrected her so that now she knows not to waste them. She was like, "I have probably done that to like 20 eggs." [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Bad Mommy! Bad! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If I see a blood spot I just remove it and keep cooking. I have read that blood spots can occur in eggs even when they are not fertilized.

I hope your mom knows that a hen sometimes sits on the nest for 45 minutes or more to prepare for laying (I read this somewhere and that is what I see with my own eyes). I tell my children that the hen worked an hour for that egg they are eating. [​IMG]

4. HollyBird24

HollyBird24 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    If you found a hidden nest, why would you collect the eggs for eating anyways??

5. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    You collect the eggs for eating, because unless it was either really old, or there was a broody sitting on it, the eggs were perfectly fine.

I have several hens who like "privacy" and hide their nests. They never go broody, they never sit, and I always start looking when my green egg count goes down. It will often take me a few days to find the nest. The eggs are fine.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  6. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Quote:Um because when its 32 degrees outside, I think it is basically a natural fridge outside.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:There is a "float test" you can do for old eggs to see if they are still good. Search BYC for float test to find it if interested.

8. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I know how you feel. Even though my boyfriend knows how little the birds lay he gets picky with eggs. Even now, at most the eggs we have around here are 2 weeks at most, but they still need to be cracked in a seperate bowl..bla bla. Lol, it irritates me because I just like to crack it into whatever is being made, if it was older or questionable i would do it seperately.
    He also wants to throw ones away that my have a hairline crack or something and I have to tell him no, we can cook it up for them to eat, feed is not cheap!

Also, bloodspots are just from a blood vessel that burst while the egg was forming, I think. Yes. "They’re caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface when it’s being formed or by a similar accident in the wall of the oviduct. "

9. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    nobody ever thinks about blood when it's a big old steak....it has blood all in it ...people just call it "juicy" you "cook" the blood "out" of it... lol I don't like the looks of a blood spot either,but when you think about it .... you "cook" a lot of bloody things....

10. HollyBird24

HollyBird24 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    Quote:Um because when its 32 degrees outside, I think it is basically a natural fridge outside.

Not if a broody has been sitting on them....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by