My mommy doesnt know what I am...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 1bzymomma, Aug 26, 2010.

1. 1bzymomma

1bzymomma New Egg

Aug 24, 2010
    I bought 10 baby chicks. I ordered 3 dominiques, 3 New Hampshire Reds, 2 Barred Plymoth Rocks and 2 Easter eggers. When the hatchery asked if I'd take substitutions I said they could substitute within my chosen breeds so long as I got at least 1 of each breed requested. I thought when I got the chicks I knew what they all were, however, now that they have grown I'm questioning a few of them. 2 of my chicks were yellow and feathered out white, with little puffy cheeks and 3 were all this creamy tan color. I thought the creamy tan ones were my Easter Eggers due to their coloring and the pics I've seen, but now I'm not sure. Also, I cant figure out what the white ones are...and on top of all that I ordered all females and I'm about 99.9% sure the dark red one is a ROOSTER! AAAHHHH...what do you think? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    Your white ones are the EE's. The reddish tan is a NH Red and it looks like a pullet (I think based on the breeds you requested). I have a 5 week old NH Red and you can already tell he's a roo. His comb is huge and it started to get red around 4 weeks. The being held alone, with the red comb and wattles....is that chicken the same age as the rest? Def. a NH Red but maybe a rooster)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  3. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    The whites are your Easter Eggers. The puffy cheeks are a dead give away.

The red one you are holding appears to be a New Hampshire Rooster.

One of the barred hens appear to have a single comb which would indicate a Barred Rock instead of a Dominique.

I'm not sure about the tan hen.

4. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    White= Easter Eggers
    light red= New Hampshire red pullet
    3rd pic new hamp red rooster
    [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

6. 1bzymomma

1bzymomma New Egg

Aug 24, 2010
    The whites are the EE's...I never wouldve guessed that! I didnt see any white EE's in the pics Ive seen. So that means the creamy/lt red ones have to be my NH reds...

3rocksand me- They are all the same age (13weeks). I had been mentioning wanting chickens ever since my hubby and I bought an old farm house...the chicks were my Mothers Day present from him!

OutInTheStiks- I'll have to look more closely at the barred ones, I never notices the single comb...thanks!

7. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    I concur, you have a rooster.

8. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Okay you may have a rooster there with your barreds --- check out the lighter black and wideness between the markings!

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:Lighter doesn't necessarily mean boy.. Squiggles was very light, compared to Buttercup.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If they are all the same age I think the BRs are both girls, and the NHR with the big comb/wattles is a boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by