My month old Silkie chick is shaking its head when it hears my voice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Knilsson, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Knilsson

Knilsson Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2010
    Hi all, I'm hoping someone has had this issue before and has an answer for the behavior my little chick is exhibiting. I've noticed in the last couple of days when I've been visiting my chicks (obviously startling the little nervous girls or waking them up) one of them has started shaking its head repeatedly when it hears me speak. The behavior resembles someone trying to shake water out of their ear. I tested her tonight to see if it was related to sound and it appears she is only doing it when I make noise. Is this an ear infection, ear damage, neurologic problem or a parasite? If it's treatable, what should I try?

2. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    It is fine mine did it too and there a year old now.

3. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i have noticed a few of my hens will do it at the same time if i say words to them that make a hissing kind of noise. or certain other sounds. so i don't think it is really an issue. just really good hearing! [​IMG]

4. Knilsson

Knilsson Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2010
    It is baffling. Only one of my chicks has this issue. Must be a sensitive ear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by