My most beloved young hen died laying her first egg

Billy Mahone

Songster
Oct 15, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I cannot describe the sadness I'm feeling right now...
I honestly loved her more then some of my family members...
I found her in the nest laying box dead.

First pic was 2 days ago where i thought she was going to lay her first egg but i noticed she didn't lay it that day.
I didn't think much of it as i thought she may have layed it yesterday as she has 2 other sisters.
I think she really suffered trying to lay the egg as there is quite abit of mess...

Can anyone please advise what i can do to avoid this in the future as i have a few more young ones her age which may start laying soon.
I blame that nesting box which i'm going to destroy and give them something else with more room.
I only got this box a few days ago and i think its to blame for this as there isn't much room for them to lay properly?

Anyways, today's going to be a long day 🥺🥺😢😢
11.jpg
111.jpg
1111.jpg

I'm so so sorry for your loss. In my experience it feels like losing a child.

Wishing your heavy heart healing.

Someone will come along with good information on how to help if you think a chicken is egg bound, but as for the box, I don't think it was a factor (I could be wrong, I am not an expert)

Were they on layer feed? I guess the two sisters had already started laying with no issues?

Don't beat yourself up, it sounds like you love your chickens very much & would do anything to help them ❤

I cannot describe the sadness I'm feeling right now...
I honestly loved her more then some of my family members...
I found her in the nest laying box dead.

First pic was 2 days ago where i thought she was going to lay her first egg but i noticed she didn't lay it that day.
I didn't think much of it as i thought she may have layed it yesterday as she has 2 other sisters.
I think she really suffered trying to lay the egg as there is quite abit of mess...

Can anyone please advise what i can do to avoid this in the future as i have a few more young ones her age which may start laying soon.
I blame that nesting box which i'm going to destroy and give them something else with more room.
I only got this box a few days ago and i think its to blame for this as there isn't much room for them to lay properly?

Anyways, today's going to be a long day 🥺🥺😢😢View attachment 2756359View attachment 2756360View attachment 2756361
I'm sorry about your pullet.

It's sad when a favorite dies suddenly.
The yellow on the vent is yellow colored urates from poop.
The only way to really know how she died would be to do a necropsy. Either your own or sending the body to your state lab.

The nesting boxes are not to blame, there's room there for the hens.
What do you feed including treats?
Do you provide oyster shell free choice?
How old was your pullet?

Back
Top Bottom