My Most Stressful Hatch Ever! My Ducklings Are Dying!!!

strawberricatt

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 4, 2016
Okay, I really need help! And to calm down. I have two really bad issues. and one not so bad one.
1. Hatching duck egg; I don't have an incubator anymore, so when eggs are abandoned in the nest it's always a huge issue for me. So i have one egg. All day it's been on a hot water bottle in a box all day. It's not cheeping, or tapping or moving anymore. I'm going to assist, (read a helpful article) I don't know if it is alive anymore.

2. Bleeding Ducklings; i found these two earlier, they were cold so I put them in the henhouse, under a hen to keep them warm. But the hens must have turned on on them, and pecked them, because they are now bloody, with raw bleeding heads. they are both resting now (Still breathing thankfully)

3. Sheep Rammed My Duckling; So earlier one of the pet lambs I'd raised attacked a duckling. She ripped the fur off a spot on the babies head. There was a shallow scrape that bleed a little. They baby is fine now, and doesn't seem to be in any pain.

I turned the heat lamp on. And put all of the babies in an old plastic box with the lamp and some rags. i really need to calm down.

Sorry you are having troubles. Hatching to me is always stressful. My only hatched duckling from this year was squashed by my donkeys the first night I released mom and duckling, we were both heartbroken.

Hopefully some of yours make it. Good luck.

Sounds like youre having a really rough day. Human body temp is about right for incubation. If youre not sure about your heating pad. Do you know what day youre at for incubation? Personally without an incubator i would be hiding in a dark room and candling to see if i could see any movement inside the egg. If theres no movement and you cant find an internal pip do a float test. Hardest thing will be getting the humidity up with out an incubator.
The other guys as long as they dont bleed to death should be ok. Watch them for neurological issues with their head trauma... try not to stay up all night they will all rither make it or they wont what you do to help only helps some <3 hope they all make it, the unhatched one is the least likely to survive. Good luck.
Okay, I really need help! And to calm down. I have two really bad issues. and one not so bad one.
1. Hatching duck egg; I don't have an incubator anymore, so when eggs are abandoned in the nest it's always a huge issue for me. So i have one egg. All day it's been on a hot water bottle in a box all day. It's not cheeping, or tapping or moving anymore. I'm going to assist, (read a helpful article) I don't know if it is alive anymore.

2. Bleeding Ducklings; i found these two earlier, they were cold so I put them in the henhouse, under a hen to keep them warm. But the hens must have turned on on them, and pecked them, because they are now bloody, with raw bleeding heads. they are both resting now (Still breathing thankfully)

3. Sheep Rammed My Duckling; So earlier one of the pet lambs I'd raised attacked a duckling. She ripped the fur off a spot on the babies head. There was a shallow scrape that bleed a little. They baby is fine now, and doesn't seem to be in any pain.

I turned the heat lamp on. And put all of the babies in an old plastic box with the lamp and some rags. i really need to calm down.

Sounds like youre having a really rough day. Human body temp is about right for incubation. If youre not sure about your heating pad. Do you know what day youre at for incubation? Personally without an incubator i would be hiding in a dark room and candling to see if i could see any movement inside the egg. If theres no movement and you cant find an internal pip do a float test. Hardest thing will be getting the humidity up with out an incubator.
The other guys as long as they dont bleed to death should be ok. Watch them for neurological issues with their head trauma... try not to stay up all night they will all rither make it or they wont what you do to help only helps some <3 hope they all make it, the unhatched one is the least likely to survive. Good luck.

I hatched the egg, only to find to the poor baby was dead. She was a lovely black and white baby. RIP.
So currently I have three yellow babies. One is absolutely fine, but the other two are bleeding their little heads off! How can I stop the bleeding?

---UPDATE---
So I looked. Currently, I have three babies. (One died in the night, and the other my mom found) The new one, has a bad leg. I'm holding my badly damaged ducky up to heat lamp, hoping some warmth will be good for him. I'm tired,(it's one AM here) I'm tired, but I'll manage

The only thing ive ised on babys to stop bleeding is a little flour on the cut. The cuts were never big though. Dont cook you new one. If youve got a real heat lamp light its too hot! An incandescent light is warm enough. They still only need to be as warm as a human. A bad leg wont be the end of the baby, my sister kept a chicken that had only 1 leg it lived for about 3 years. It might be harder on a duck though because it will want to swim.

Back
Top Bottom