1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my mottled cochin bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by encorepistol, Jan 28, 2011.

1. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    This will be my 3rd year trying to improve the mottled cochins I have. The mottling has improved quite well but Im trying to replicate the powder blue of my favorite hen which has not come about yet. I'm hoping my blue mottled roo from last year will help me with this. It seems all the pullets that hatch have come out black so I'll have to try to hatch out more [​IMG].
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Very pretty!
    [​IMG]

3. mjgigax

mjgigax Overrun With Chickens

Jul 15, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    Your light blue hen is truely beautiful and all of yours are much prettier than mine which have much less mottleing. Mine are almost 4 mo. old and I know they get more with age, guess I am too impatient.

4. ShysCreations

ShysCreations Chillin' With My Peeps

encore--she is a pretty hen! It may be that it takes several generation of lighter & lighter blue to reach her powder blue. Almost like when successive splash/splash matings occur, the blue fades more & more.

5. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Thanks everybody! She is my favorite by far and is the mother of the roo Im using now. I hope he will produce some light blue mottled chicks for me this year. I split everything up today to prepare for collecting eggs to hatch when weather gets better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by