My Mottled Houdan Chicks From Murray McMurray Are Sickly, One Dead

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dangerouschicken, Feb 19, 2008.

1. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I just got my 26 day old chicks from Murray McMurray Hatchery today, and my Mottled Houdans were sickly right from the start. It's only been 6 hours since I've had them, and one has already died.

Does anyone know if Mottled Houdans are particularly hard to raise, and if so, how can I help the others? I bought several different breeds, and the rest are doing great, only the Houdans are sick.

Symptoms:

Sluggish
    Will only drink a drop or two (I have to put it right up to their beaks)
    Eating little, if at all
    Want to just lay down, face first, eyes closed

Should I contact the hatchery or is this normal? I usually buy from the local feed and seed, and just thought I'd try this route since I wanted so many different breeds. Should I leave the sick ones in the brooder or take them out?

Thanks, any help is great.

2. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I would contact them immediately. It definitely doesn't sound normal. Sorry for your loss.

3. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Thank you. I figure that's how nature is, but I'm really disappointed. I will contact them.

4. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    An update: I called during their non-business hours, so have to give another call back tomorrow. The others are perking up since I have been on them to eat and drink over and over again. I think I may lose a Speckled Sussex, though. It refuses to eat or drink. There's not much more I can do.

Here are pics of the day-olds that are doing well:

here are some in the brooder.
    [​IMG]

this is the random rare chick MMcMurray sent. not sure what he is, but he's little. his name is Erik Estrada.
    [​IMG]

I believe this is a silver-laced wyandotte.
    [​IMG]

this is a white polish my husband named after his polish grandma. her name is Genevieve.
    [​IMG]

cute little turken without a name.
    [​IMG]

I'll let you know later what the hatchery said.

5. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    nope it is not normal but happens alot. the chicks are to week or to cold from shipping or are weak stock. calling hatchery is only thing ya can really do to see if they give credit or will do replacements. i haven't ordered from them in awhile so i can't rememeber their policy.

ideal i ordered from last time, i lost a few of them. they replaced free of charge and sent extra males for warmth several days later. lost one of them next day but rest all made it and very healthy plump babies that time. depending on the hatcheries policies they may do something similar.

place sugar water in the waterer it will help some to get their energy and strength up. lots of beautiful little cutties, congrats!!!
    silkie

6. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    forgot to tell ya, LOVE the turken, it's gorgous,lol!!

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Electrolytes is better than a sugar solution (which if given in excess >real easy to do that< or in real dhydration cases which is often the case with shipped chicks can actually eXCAERBATE dehydration in many cases!)
    Most hatcheries have a product called GRO-GEL which is a great electrolyte/nutritional extra to get them started...it is not expensive.

8. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Gatorade will also work in an emergency.

9. Alexis

Alexis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I'm having the SAME problem with one of my new chicks that came yesterday. He? is just really lethargic, and keeps falling asleep face first into whatever he lands on. The other chicks would just keep walking all over the top of him and it was making my kids really upset so finally I took him out of the brooder. He spent a couple hours last night in my lap on a heating pad. Every 10 minutes or so I would wake him up and force him to drink a tiny sip of sugar water. I was afraid I'd lose him overnight, and my daughter cried and cried about it... ugh! This one is hers, she ordered it and I didn't really know what to do. I think I just found out he's a sultan though! He's got extra toes. He's the tiniest one of the whole rainbow bunch that I ordered, so I imagine he had a rough trip here. We put him back in the box he came in, and placed it near the heat lamp. This morning he was standing up, chirping and moving around! I was so surprised - but I imagine the sugar water may have helped a little bit?

10. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    I'm so sorry :aww. I hope they get better soon. I also ordered Mottled houdans and almost every crested breed from Murray McMurray but they aren't suppose to come until the 25th, I hope mine will be okay. Please keep us updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by