My Mottled Houdan Chicks From Murray McMurray Are Sickly, One Dead

Try feeding them some scrambled egg. My new little hatchlings are gobbling it up and it's high in vitamins and protein. They chase each other around the box for a piece and pieces are flying around - looks like a little football game.

I'm sorry to hear about the mottled houdan chick that died
hugs.gif

I hope the rest of your chicks make it-they sure are cuties
love.gif

especially Eric Estrada!
big_smile.png

Here is an update on our chicks:

First of all, Murray McMurray sent me 27 chicks, not 26, so that was nice, especially since 3 died and one is really runty.

The first one I lost was a Mottled Houdan I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. The second Houdan is still alive, but she's the runt. She's 1/3 the size of my other chicks and hardly growing. I keep thinking she's gonna die, but she keeps on hanging in there. The others like to sit on her, and she kinda seems to like it
lol.png
Not much I can do except watch her and wait.

I lost an Aracauna, too. She died early on the second morning. I just woke up, went to check the chicks, and she was in there, dead. I called Murray McMurray and they credited me on the two losses. They were very cool about it.

Then Genevieve, the White Polish, also died. She was pretty weak by the fourth day and just fell over dead. It was sad. My husband has since adopted the turkens as his babies.

Erik Estrada is growing fast, as are the others. I think she's actually Erika Estrada. The babies are growing so fast, I have already seperated them into 4 different tubs.

That's the update. Thanks for your advice, thoughts, well wishes, etc. This site is a great place for poultry people, let me tell ya.

smile.png

Last edited:
I've learned the hard way that the electrolytes should be in the waterer before the chicks are even in the pen and the temp at 98. Little peeps don't like to wait. I'm having a devil of a time starting chicks this year compared to last.

I have 4 from mcmurray all are well. Excited also are many feathered cochin of mutiple colors and 3 sicilian buttercups. Only time i lost any was my far address the hatchery replaced all lost. This is Mcmurray 100th anniversay im 40 yr customer this yr, i personally reccommend them to many.

Back
Top Bottom