MY MUM

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by middleone, Oct 18, 2015.

1. middleone

middleone New Egg

Oct 17, 2015
    Hi every one, I am new to Backyard chickens and I have just got 3 ex Battery hens they are doing well now . But I would like to ask anyone if they know what sort of feed my mother used to cook up for her hens as I was to young to remember but I know her hens were very healthy on it any ideas what she could of been cooking up?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Well FIRST [​IMG]

Now as to cooking up feed. We don't really cook feed all that much. Maybe your mom used to feed fermented feed. I am not into that because it is too much work and mess (for me).. I suggest you get Alflock pellets and feed them that. If they still lay eggs then provide oyster shells free choice. If you use layer feed and they don't lay much, then you may be forcing more calcium into them than they need. Could be harmful to kidneys and liver. You can also use starter, or grower feed. It wont hurt them. Of course treat them some seeds also referred to as scratch. Let them live their golden years in luxury.

WISHING YOU BEST. [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Things may have changed a lot since your mum raised chickens. I think any of the name brand foods should work well for your birds.

5. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for taking in the ex-battery girls. In addition to a balanced commercial feed, you can give them some healthy treats every day (but not more than 10% of their daily intake). Here's a helpful chart of treats:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

My girls are especially fond of meal worms, yogurt, fruit and sunflower seeds. A few little treats can go a long ways in making the birds friendly!

6. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by