1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Muscovies flew away : (

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kadjain, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

I got three Muscovy ducks for breeding and the guy talked me into not clipping their wings. I kept them locked in a coop for three days to let them adjust to the new place and last night was their second night out. I woke this morning and the two females are gone. I searched the 10 acres all the way back to the river and could not find them.
    Will they come back tonight? Or if they found the river should I just accept that they are gone?? ?

Luckily the drake was still here so I caught and clipped him.

I'm so bent about this!! !

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Sorry you were given bad advice. They may come back. If you were close to where you got them, check with the breeder, just in case.

I would actually recommend more time to ensure that they know where home is. If they do come back, I would clip their wings then decide again after they molt if you want to continue clipping.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Muscovy girls are excellent flyers, sadly i don't think 3 days in a new home is enough, i don't clip my girls but they have all been raised here since young and fly in/our often.

Many also clip, it depends on the circumstances but i would check with the breeder as PP suggested, hopefully they will return.

4. Kadjain

The breeder is at least 50 miles away, we met in the middle to exchange the ducks.
    I was thinking like I do with new chickens but I guess the Muscovy needed more time.
    I searched again all over the 10 acres before sunset and still could not find them.
    I had 2 runners get out one time after I introduced them and I found 1 right away and the other came back 3 days later so I am still kind of hopeful.

5. Kadjain

One of them came back tonight. I walked out the front door and there she was perched on the greenhouse. GOT HER!! !
    I hope the younger one comes back now.. .

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Great news, time to clip a wing. Let us know about the other one, hopefully she'll come home too.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Glad one has returned! They like to Roost so perhaps they found a tree to stay in overnight. Hope they rest follow.

8. Valntyn

Valntyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Central Maine
    Hurrah for the one! Here's continued hope for the others!

9. Kadjain

The other duck has been at a neighbors house. I talked to him today and he asked me if I'm missing a duck. He must've had her ever since she first flew away because he says his wife loves her and they are getting two more. He said he'll get three more and replace her for me so I'm happy. I kinda wanted my original duck back but if she turned them into duck people and they will replace her for me I'm OK with it.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like a good plan, and the fact that he told you and is happy with his new friend is so cool. let us know when you get your new girl..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by