My Muscovies Help in Sexing please, PICs added

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sadiew, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Sadiew

Sadiew Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Hi my 2 lovely ducks are 18 weeks old and are same size, only difference I can see is one has a different feather at tail end, have shown in pics below. Would love to know what sex they are, was hoping for one male and one female (fingers crossed) but love them to bits so much fun.

First pic is Daisy

[​IMG]

2nd pic Darcie

[​IMG]

Rear view Daisy top and Darcie bottom

[​IMG]

Daisy on left Darcie on Right

[​IMG]

Thanks any help appreciated/

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I'm not entirely sure but it looks like you may have a hen and a drake!
    Daisy looks smaller than Darcie, which makes me think daisy is a hen and Darcie is a drake.
    I could be wrong, it is always hard to tell in pictures. They usually look so different in person!

3. Sadiew

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Quote:Thank you for replying, I sure hope I have a drake and a hen [​IMG]

4. Wulfandwyn

Wulfandwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Does one have bigger feet than the other? My boy was smaller for a while but had huge feet then he had a growth spurt and now is much bigger than my girls. Till that growth spurt I thought I had two boys and a girl. The girls also got their feathers in sooner.

5. Sadiew

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    At the moment they look exactly the same [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    can you get a close up of their faces? also their legs the drakes have thicker legs too.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  7. NamahKatana

NamahKatana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    With the first and second pic from what i can see of the legs Daisy looks drake and Darcy looks hen.

8. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    How big are they? Since they are the same size, how do they compare to other breeds of ducks. I want to say they both look like boys in the face but there is a BIG size difference between boys and girls by that age. Mine are all around the same age as yours and the boys are about the same size as full grown pekins (but shorter legs and necks) the girls are quite a bit smaller. I'm guessing the boys weigh between 8 and 10 pounds. The girls are closer to 4 or 5 pounds.

9. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some muscovies that are 15 weeks right now....my boys have the middle tail feather that sticks out like darcie's does....
    daisy's tail feathers look like she might be missing a feather in the center of her/his tail....
    that space between her feathers....if she has lost it somehow and it was once like darcie's then I would say you have two drakes
    since you have said they are the same size you may need to wait and see if one doesn't take on a growth spurt or something??

anyway, I think darcy is a male due to that feather. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by