My Muscovy And His Love Nips? Or Mean Bites?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MysticalMom, Sep 15, 2009.

1. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Hi all. Haven't been here in a few weeks. Life gets in the way sometimes. With 3 teenage girls still at home, the ducks, chickens and the rest of the zoo I get SWAMPED! I know I promised everybody pictures, but I am a bad duck Momma and just haven't taken anymore YET. Sorry. [​IMG]

The ducks are are all doing great, growing and eating and making a mess. [​IMG] The Muscovies and the appleyard/Khaki are still in a little "pen" in the garage, I take them outside with me during the day, but they haven't moved to the outside duck house/pen yet. They've spent some time next to and peeking into the pen that holds the the older mallards, The younger ducks are curious, but the skittish mallards just seem to be scared of them too. [​IMG] Everybody will find their place I suppose, But I have a question about one of my Muscovies.

The muscovies are MUCH friendlier than than the mallards and I adore them, but I have one that can't leave my legs, hands and arms alone. When I'm cleaning them, or feeding them or whatever this ONE is always nipping at my skin. It's usually just like little nips, but sometimes he gets a good pinch and makes me say OUCH and shoo him away.

I just wondered if he's being mean or if it's just love nips? He doesn't run from me ( they all run TO me because they know I usually come bearing treats) and just seems to want to nip nip nip nip at me like he does everything else. I just didn't know if I should love him back or try to break him of doing it?

2. Bananas

Bananas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've got the same problem with my Pekin, Fred.....so I hope somebody answers this post because I'm wondering about the nipping too!

He always runs to me and follows me around but he is constantly nipping at my pants and shoes and sometimes he gets skin and it HURTS! Not sure whether he is trying to hurt me or endear himself to me??? Hopefully this post will keep your question at the top and somebody wise will answer it [​IMG]

3. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    One of my Pekin Drakes does the same thing, he doen't nip hard enough to hurt me though. He'll walk along side of me while the other Pekins walk along behind me or in front of me. He sort of dances in circles around me all the way, stopping now and then to let me pet his back or rub his chest. When I walk by their pen in the evening he tries to follow along with me until I stick my fingers through the wire, then he nibbles real softly at them. I've always though he was being affectionate. He actually got my other Pekins to come eat out of my hand, I'm pretty impressed with my pretty boy :)

Michelle

4. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    Those cute little love nips now can turn into a full fledged attack once he reaches sexual maturity. Drakes that are raised with too much close contact with people can be quite troublesome during adulthood.

5. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    My Drake has been sexually active for a little over a month now and he hasn't gotten rough with me. *knock on wood* He'll even leave the group to come over to me and after getting his chest rubbed he encourages the other ducks to come over. he's such a hoot!

Michelle

6. MysticalMom

Jul 1, 2009
    Mine are only about 4 and 1/2 weeks old. Once they're out of the garage pen and in the big duck pen they'll think they're ducks again. [​IMG]

The only contact they have with me is for feelding, cleaning, treats etc.....

I'm going to assume he loves me and just be careful [​IMG]

I took some pics tonight at cleaning time. ( wish I'd cleaned it BEFORE I took the pics:/) Let me see if I can get them up.

7. MysticalMom

Jul 1, 2009
    This one was ON the camera already and it's from a couple of weeks ago.... That Moby in the front... the appleyard/khaki cross I got from Duck Keeper.

[​IMG]

Moby today.. with one of the muscovies ( the lovable one) peeking from the back.

[​IMG]

This muscovy was all yellow when I got her..

[​IMG]

All of 'em... but Mr. Lovable seems to like having his picture taken! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    AH! I don't know what to think! One of my babies is FAMOUS! [​IMG]

I think he's just playing with you, but as he gets older it will get stronger, and probably hurt more when he bites you.

I've never really had problems with biting, they only happen occasionally when I handle one of the more 'wild' ducks but not enough to say so. So... I don't know what to tell you. [​IMG]
    You could put up with it, or give him a little slap { [​IMG] } when he starts to hurt. [​IMG]
    Hmm, slapping a duck... [​IMG]

9. duckboatprincess

duckboatprincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I know that my drakes have a tendancy to do this when I pick them up. I think they do it because they're freaked out, but I still don't tolerate that, just like I wouldn't tolerate it in my dogs. I just grab their bill and give it a gentle shake while telling them no. It takes a few times, but it does work. Good luck!

10. I had a Runner drake who used to follow me around, he was always at my ankles and I had to be careful not to step on him when I turned around. He was the less dominant drake and as the breeding season started in early spring he became very obnoxious. He would grab my pants, peck at my boots, and pull my hair when he coud reach it. At that point at least I was bundled up in cold weather clothing, putting up with him would have been terrible if I were out there in shorts. Nothing I did would make him stop, including holding him down. I wound up penning him up a lot, and finally found him and the other drake a new home with a bunch of bachelor drakes. Some drakes are very difficult to have around.
    What is your male/female ratio MysticalMom ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by